Old Savage Accutrigger. Tips/Tricks to cheaply reduce pull weight?

entoptics

Buddies Savage 10, from around 2007, is pulling at 3 lbs 10 oz (very consistent at least). I've got the rear spring backed out as far as possible, so she won't go any lower. I can take it up to a healthy 6 lbs if I want...:oops:

Any tricks to drop it down about 3/4 lb? He doesn't need an ultralight trigger on his hunting rifle, but even 3lb would be a big improvement. Cut off a spring coil? Aftermarket spring kit?

Don't wanna spend any significant money, so a new trigger is out of the question.

Ideas?

I generally like to reduce the thickness of a coil spring rather than cutting a coil. But for ten bucks I'd save the factory spring and follow can101's suggestion. Pretty cool.

go to the gun shack they have the target spring for the accu trigger will get 2.5lbs or less. cost is under $10.00
I did a search for the Gun Shack and got a bunch of different places. Which one are you talking about? I would like to order a spring. Thanks

I did the lighter springs from gun shack and was at like 3lbs and kept having a problem locking up the trigger if I got just the slightest aggressive working the bolt. The safety blade thing on the trigger would not allow me to pull the trigger until I reworked the bolt handle. Is there a fix for that besides babying the bolt?

I did the lighter springs from gun shack and was at like 3lbs and kept having a problem locking up the trigger if I got just the slightest aggressive working the bolt. The safety blade thing on the trigger would not allow me to pull the trigger until I reworked the bolt handle. Is there a fix for that besides babying the bolt?
Not sure if this helps but I found on my older AccuTrigger that if I adjusted it too low the same thing happened. Also, once I got it adjusted correctly, the adjustment spring would loosen by itself during use and the problem came back. I finally put some nail polish on the adjustment spring/screw and it never happened again.

The varmint spring is lighter than the standard trigger spring too, not as light as the target spring though.

Checking the sear contact points is a good, First thing to check. Many factory triggers have burrs and Boo-Boos. The sear surfaces will not slide on each other. Smoothing the sears will cure a lot of problems.
Wood Crafters sells a set of 8000 grit stones that will polish metal to mirror finish. Then the spring will have control of the tension, Not the rough sear surfaces.
I got a CZ 457 that had a terrible trigger, When I checked the sears they had a black coating. On one side of the sear was a shiney spot size of a pin head. Matching shiney grove on other sear contact.
Smoothed both sears. Now has a crisp 2 1/4 lb. trigger.