Tips & tricks for Savage rifles

M1A1ABRAMS

I have a few Savage rifles I want to improve. First one is a Left hand 223 Axis I, is my best guess. No Accu trigger or adjustable stock. But the plus is the barrel is actually free floating in the stock. lol Mainly the bolt lift is hard. Especially after a dry fire. It seems to get heavier. I know you can put a bolt lift kit & longer handle on to improve this. But how much does it really help ? I have a older 110 that also has a hard bolt lift. And noticed it needs a bolt sleeve upon inspection. Is there a reason why this would wear out so fast ? The rifle does look to be used & not taken care of IMO. Not all beat up but not serviced after use. It has a two piece firing pin. I have noticed looking for parts can be quite confusing, with the different models. I would like to be able to use an AR mag, some how in the 223. But I have yet to find anyway to do this. I did see where I could go with MDT chassis, AICS conversion or buy a reman factory mag. Has anyone tried any of these ? And how well do they work ? I looked at a Rem 783 in 270 at the same LGS & just could not believe how smooth the action worked on that rifle. If it had been in 223. I would have bought it instead. It was a right hand model. But then I may wish I never bought a left hand after this. This is actually my first left hand rifle in 45 years of shooting. It's going to be just a plinking rifle due to ammo cost. And it's versatility. So I thought I would try going lefty. If I decide it's not for me. It may be something I trade off. Or keep for a left handed youth to train with.

I've never used the ones you're talking about for a mag conversion. I have a SA 10 sitting in my gun room that I need to start buying parts for. Being a bottom bolt release, the only thing I've found is the PTG bottom metal that accepts AICS mags. I have that on the 28 Nosler I built on a Savage 116, so I know it works. That rifle also has the Timney replacement trigger and I couldn't be happier with it. I do believe they make something for the Axis too. I'm really not in the up and up with the Axis models though so I wouldn't be able to help much there.

I'm not sure why your actions are so rough, I know every time I've handled an Axis I didn't think the action was very smooth. I'd check for burs on the lugs and lug channel, that may require taking the barrel off though. For the $300-$400 spent on used rifles, that I've always gotten my Savages as, their actions have been smooth. I'm not saying they're custom grade smooth, but they're not bad at all.

I've never used the ones you're talking about for a mag conversion. I have a SA 10 sitting in my gun room that I need to start buying parts for. Being a bottom bolt release, the only thing I've found is the PTG bottom metal that accepts AICS mags. I have that on the 28 Nosler I built on a Savage 116, so I know it works. That rifle also has the Timney replacement trigger and I couldn't be happier with it. I do believe they make something for the Axis too. I'm really not in the up and up with the Axis models though so I wouldn't be able to help much there.

I'm not sure why your actions are so rough, I know every time I've handled an Axis I didn't think the action was very smooth. I'd check for burs on the lugs and lug channel, that may require taking the barrel off though. For the $300-$400 spent on used rifles, that I've always gotten my Savages as, their actions have been smooth. I'm not saying they're custom grade smooth, but they're not bad at all.
Most are not bad besides the bolt lift. The older 30-06 with the worn out bolt cocking sleeve is really hard on bolt lift. Which I guess the sleeve is creating a lot of that hard lift. I want to see if there's a reason for the sleeve wearing out so fast. I would think that part should last a long time. But then I could be wrong. And if so. When I locate one I hope to buy extra if they're going to be needed. I guess I am used to Rem & Howa actions. When opening the bolt it almost reminds me of a 1917 Enfield action. lol