Old question from new reloader

I have lot's of experience with shot shell reloading. I did it to keep shell costs down (competition shooting). I also could get a darn nice shell consistently. I am about to move into rifle reloading. Do the reasons still stand:

- Cost is lower than factory
- ability to "tune the bullet to the gun"

Thanks for the input
Not cheaper anymore but you still can tailor your loads to a particular rifle.

I thought I would save money Reloading. Joke is on me. Always buying something to add to the bench. My ammo is much better then factory for sure though and will eventually even out with shooting. I definitely shot more Reloading.

I think if your after strictly lower cost and are not shooting a massive volume it's probably cheaper to look for sales and stock up. Rifle can get incredibly expensive if you are truly chasing accuracy because not only the components but all the extra equipment. In previous years it was more economical then at present prices for sure
Th
Not cheaper anymore but you still can tailor your loads to a particular rifle.
thanks

There can be costs savings for volume shooting, and there is always the ability to tune a load to your weapon for better accuracy, game involved or long range performance. Also, one can reduce loads for short range targets, small game then increase for longer or larger. It is a hobby, and like many, there is a cost of investment and over time a ROI.

Like so many hobbies, race cars, restorations, boats, golfing, etc, etc, you have to decide what level of performance you wish to be at and then invest money, time and labor into it. Many years ago, I had a hunting friend who asked me how I could afford to shoot so much, and I asked him how he could afford to smoke 2 packs a day and drink a case of beer each week. When we added the monthly costs of each, I was sending less money on reloading/shooting than he was. At least for then.

If one needs to keep costs low and just have fun shooting or short range hunting, one can explore bullet casting, but here again, there is the initial investment. Though some very decent bullets can be had with the lower end Lee moulds and casting pots. Also, buying bulk reduces longer term costs, but will cost more in the short term.

Recent Posts