Newbie reloader question

Amudgett

I'm reloading 300 wby brass with barnes 180grttsx bt bullets. When I seat the bullet to the proper overall length, a rib of the bullet sticks out and doesn't look right? I got the data for overall length from the lee reloading die book, and also measured several factory rounds which all run at 3.560 in. To fully seat the bullet till nothing show I would have to go another .0545 in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please see pics attached

Attachments

• 20220130_161623.jpg
    20220130_161623.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 314
I'm reloading 300 wby brass with barnes 180grttsx bt bullets. When I seat the bullet to the proper overall length, a rib of the bullet sticks out and doesn't look right? I got the data for overall length from the lee reloading die book, and also measured several factory rounds which all run at 3.560 in. To fully seat the bullet till nothing show I would have to go another .0545 in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please see pics attached
Don't worry about it at all. Those are there to reduce friction and pressure not as a seating depth guide.

No big deal. Sounds like you don't know how far off the lands you are. Just leave the bullet a lot farther out and slowly close the bolt. You will feel and see when it hits the lands if too long. Seat it 10k deeper spot it with a candle and drop in in and repeat. You will see the land marks and keep backing it off. I like to start 10k off and adjust.

PM me and I would be happy to talk you through it step by step if you want.

As far as the band being seen no worry. Just like a cannelure above the neck. Makes no difference. Hope they shoot great for you.

No big deal. Sounds like you don't know how far off the lands you are. Just leave the bullet a lot farther out and slowly close the bolt. You will feel and see when it hits the lands if too long. Seat it 10k deeper spot it with a candle and drop in in and repeat. You will see the land marks and keep backing it off. I like to start 10k off and adjust.

PM me and I would be happy to talk you through it step by step if you want.

As far as the band being seen no worry. Just like a cannelure above the neck. Makes no difference. Hope they shoot great for you.
Thanks for the great advice and offering help. I may take you up on that once I get back to it!!

From Barnes Bullets:

"An exclusive feature of the TSX Bullet is multiple, precisely engineered rings cut into the bullet shank. These grooved rings act as relief valves as bullet metal flows under pressure while traveling down the bore. Instead of flowing from the front to the base of the bullet, the copper material expands into the grooves. This results in reduced pressures and less copper fouling. Reduced pressures mean the bullet can be safely loaded to higher velocities. The rings also alter barrel harmonics, greatly improving accuracy."

Seat them where they shoot best!

From Barnes Bullets:

"An exclusive feature of the TSX Bullet is multiple, precisely engineered rings cut into the bullet shank. These grooved rings act as relief valves as bullet metal flows under pressure while traveling down the bore. Instead of flowing from the front to the base of the bullet, the copper material expands into the grooves. This results in reduced pressures and less copper fouling. Reduced pressures mean the bullet can be safely loaded to higher velocities. The rings also alter barrel harmonics, greatly improving accuracy.
Won't crimping be an issue if the tip of the brass isn't contacting bullet?