Newbie reloader

Grubby

First of all, I have read books and manuals like crazy before this adventure began. I began my first load work up for my .223 win 70v with barnes ttsx a few weeks ago. I was reading more and found and article about starting close to the max with testing as it. I didn't have much time at the range, was starting to get dark. I went to the mid level and began. I found my .6 gr and .9 gr below max to both shoot .8 inch groups. The others closer to min were much worse. So I now have about 15 expensive bullets that I feel are not potentially as accurate as the others.

Should I pull the bullets and reload? Is this even a smart idea or a bad idea? Throw the powder out or use it in other bullets? Deprime and reprime?

Not only are the bullets pricey, I have struggled to find them.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Grub

Yes, you can pull the bullets AND reuse the bullet, powder, brass and primer. Just don't get one of those kinetic hammer like puller pullers you see. They don't work well and can damage the powder and hurt the point on the bullet.

I would recommend a Grip-N-Pull pulled puller. They are a sponsor of this forum and make a really great one of a kind bullet puller..

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/new-grip-n-pull-model-free-shipping-136070/

I agree that you can use the powder, bullet, case and primer, but I've had good results from the hammer style bullet pullers. Unless your neck tension is out of this world crazy tight, a few soft raps with the hammer is not going to damage your powder or bullet tip (in most cases for the bullet tip... Depends on the bullet.). What I've done is to take an earplug, the kind that aren't cylindrical, but those that are more bell shaped, toss some hot glue on it, and stuff it down into the bottom where the bullet lands. The bullet then has a soft landing once it escapes the cartridge. I prefer this to any method which grasps the bullet itself, as that method is more likely to cause some deformation of the copper jacket which I have to believe impacts bullet trajectory, especially as range increases.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I appreciate the info. I am also and avid woodworker so I tried to make a puller like the grip and puller. It was mad e of of oak and I could not get enough force on the ttsx to pull it out of the .223 case. It did work on some 7mm that I tried.

I am fairly concerned about damaging the bullet so I am probably just going to keep them for plinking in the future.

I appreciate the advise. I am leaning toward a kinetic puller in the future. I will give a try the next time I am out at my local supplier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts