Newbie reloading case question

orangediablo

Picked up some new Lapua brass and when running the expander through it, it looks like i'm getting some nasty scratches. New cases, new dies. Is this a lube issue?? Something inside the die?? Any suggestions??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160817-210807.jpg
    Screenshot_20160817-210807.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160817_210755.jpg
    20160817_210755.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 81
Check the die, definitely something going on in there.

Did you clean the dies before using them the first time? They do coat them with anti-rust oils and there could be build up.

Did they start doing this with the first case or did it start after several cases were sized?

Dan

Noticed on about the third case, so minimal damage was done...I'l give them a good cleaning. If that doesn't resolve the issue, what's next?

Looking at your cases, The marking is similar to an issue I had with my 6.5-06 AI dies. I was using the wrong type of lube and it built up in the neck looking like what you have.

I was using RCBS spray type lube, but I now use Hornady one shot and it works for me. I would consider getting Imperial Die Wax as well.

The Build up in my dies was considerable and was a pain to get out. I actually has to use a bore brush with steel wool wrapped around it to remove the build up.

I highly doubt the dies have any defects in them, but you never know.

It is possible to scratch the inside of your dies as well by running cases with insufficient lube as well. I doubt that this is the case either.

Hope this helps.

Dan

I'm seeing a burr of brass at the bottom of the gouges. This appears to be mechanical not from oils or lube. Send the pics to your die manufacturer, perhaps they will exchange them for you before you damage more of that new Lapua brass. Should not be any hassle. Good luck

Polish the neck of the die, it appears some cutting compound was left in the shoulder area that made it's way up into the neck with the passage of your cases.
If you don't remove the compound and polish the neck, the scratches will stay.
Have had similar problems with all dies, the factory doesn't always remove all the compound, worst I've seen was my RCBS 264WM die, the compound was thick in there.

Cheers.
gun)

Could have happened if the cases were fired and not cleaned to remove crap from the brass, but since they are new brass, my guess would be something in the die that a good cleaning should remove. I usually clean my new dies with Hoppes #9, and make sure they are super clean and dry. Use Imperial Sizing Wax for resizing. If you get any crud inside the sizing die, it will scratch the case.

I stuck a case the other day for the second time with one shot. Never again. I swore that I would not use it again after the 1st one a few years ago. I was in a hurry and boy did that cost me some time. A new set of dies later and I was back in business.

When I cleaned the new fl sizer I used rem oil on a patch and swabbed it all out. I then ran one into the new sizer without lube slowly to see if it was tight. Ran all the way like butter. So I kept running them. All I did for the next 450 round was a little spritz of rem oil into the sizer every 100 pcs. The least amount of effort to full length size that I have ever used. Clean up was too easy. Just wipe off the cases.

Steve

I used Imperial Sizing Wax for just about everything with good luck until I got my 338 RUM. After sticking 4 RUM cases with it I quit using it and haven't stuck another case yet.

I replaced the old dies with new ones, cleaned them with Hoppes #9, let them dry, and tried again. Same thing is happening, just to a smaller degree and a smaller spot. Last thing I can really try would be Imperial Sizing wax. After that, I'm out of ideas.

Try the Imperial but be on the hard lookout for a new set of dies. If you CLEAN tour dies well and lube your casings with Imperial and you still get those scratched.....Id be on the horn to the die maker raising hell and want a new set.

On a side note, do I even need to size the new brass or run the expander thru the case mouth? I know you need to do this on anything fired, but am I wasting time and being OCD on resizing new Norma or Lapua brass if they were all measured and within an acceptable range? I'm not shooting over 600yds or anything at the moment, just for hunting and getting into the whole sport. Just wondering how detailed I should be getting here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.