New Reloader question...

Rockchucker kit, rcbs cm lite, lee priming tool, trimmer (many brands work fine). This setup has served me and others very well

Decided I'd add to the opinions: I've never regretted buying my kit except that in hindsight if I did it again I'd probably just search for used stuff and save money. It's a hornady single stage. It came with a scale, a hand priming tool, a reloading block and manual, and a few other things. I use all that I've mentioned still. I do not and never have used the powder measure or press priming tool. The most important things outside the kit I've purchased (apart from dies and stuff like that) are a tumbler, a chronograph, a trimmer. That's about it. If the kit is a good price (often cheaper than buying things separately) don't hesitate either. You can always upgrade as you go, sure, sell the old stuff or give it to a new reloader just getting started :).

I am wanting to reload to utilize non-factory options. Anyway, I know RCBS offers the Rock Chucker Supreme Kit. I am wondering if I would be better purchasing the Rock Chucker Press and Chargemaster Lite Scale instead. I can purchase a hand priming tool (or prime on press), debur too and Imperial Sizing Wax or Hornady OneShot seperately. I know it maybe slightly more expensive, but would I be better off going this route for quality reloads?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
You should look at Redding T3 turret press. So much better than RCBS. I have the RCBS Chargemaster Lite and it's ok, throws many charges under, so keep your eye on the weight being displayed.

I am also just starting the reloading venture due to decreased options here in CA (apparently they don't like hunting, everything's difficult here) I also have looked at the kits, but came to the choice I don't want to upgrade later. The cost becomes the issue. I have done a lot of reading and hours upon hours of watching reviews with tons of different opinions of what is needed, and what's good. There are a few people that put their lists out there of what they use and Why. I have also selected items to buy based off good loading discussions here on previous forum questions and the reviews that matched. I will be getting items I can afford as I go. So far started with some manuals, Sinclair bump and bullet comparators, and the rcbs automatic priming tool with needed shell holders. I would like the forester coax( but can't afford it), but will probably end up with MEC marksman ( I can buy that and a scale for the cost of the coax) It seems it will be a costly set up process none the less, but I'll get what I want out of it. For those experienced loafers it is always good to put out a reloaded recommended starter list and to recommend good products and why when you find them. A reloaders tip corner I guess.
I like this post he states a very overlook starting point that is very important knowledge he did a lot of reading on forums etc. to gain knowledge prior to experience reading is about the only way to do it in my opinion get several reloading manuals I like Bryan Litz has books on performance of rifle bullets ballistics etc. I believe knowledge is key and a knowledgeable choice will save you money starting out
848F5B62-8347-4801-9869-55610E2F5B98.jpeg

Thanks. What I've found is that the Chargmaster light throws charges "a little light". Probably a few hundredths of a grain but it does so consistently so it's really not an issue for me. I did call RCBS and spoke to one of their engineers, a competent young lady who told me the discrepancy could be due to static that accumulates on the area around the scale patten. This can be remedied by gently wiping the area around the patten with bounce dryer sheets. Who knew?
I did but like everyone else I learned through a forum, dryer sheets help also be where of certain light bulbs and any Bluetooth or Wi-Fi signals also I run mine on a back up battery power supply that conditions the electric

I went through several presses including the Co-Ax. The Redding Ultramag is what i settled on and have two on the bench. I also have a Lee Classic Cast that is a fine piece of workmanship and a great value. My other single stage press I really like is the RCBS Jr 2.

I never went the kit route. It took longer to get everything I have but was well worth the effort and time.

I went through several presses including the Co-Ax. The Redding Ultramag is what i settled on and have two on the bench. I also have a Lee Classic Cast that is a fine piece of workmanship and a great value. My other single stage press I really like is the RCBS Jr 2.

I never went the kit route. It took longer to get everything I have but was well worth the effort and time.
I bought a kit to start with like many people and changed pretty much everything I do like the Redding ultramag definitely helps when loading large calibers
CA397FBE-0725-47DB-8F06-AD1BCCB27C39.jpeg
like the 338 Lapua

Nice, the Ultramag doesn't seem to get a lot of play on the gun forums but it is an excellent press with tight tolerances and lots of mechanical advantage.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts