Old FN Mauser Action Scope Base Help

I like EGW bases as well as their new rings they make. I use a Pic rail on my 98 but instead of doing any relief work on the action I just do it on the underside of the rear mount area. also rear holes may not line up but if you have a drill press, mill or at least a dremel it doesn't take long to cure that problem.

Thank you so much to everyone. I showed him what was suggested (Warne) and he said "Oh, I think it's good enough and will work for me". I ordered the Warn without the stripper clip, and will get them on his rifle. I have the wife on my side. LOL Here is the coble together job I/we did. Notice the silver at the bottom back ring. Yes, that is Tin foil....oh lordy that was a first ever for me. I really did not think he was going to actually shoot it and wait. Nope, went for hike the other day and he is over the hood of his truck sighting it in. It is holding so far. Everything was hand done by his dad including the stock. His dad only used a saw, knife, rasps, drill, sand paper.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5458.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5458.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 61
I always grind the stripper clip down to suit the contour behind it. Some bases look funny due to the cut underneath where the stripper clip would normally be.
I don't have access to a couple I have in the shop right now, but I can post pics if you would like when I get in there next.
Can't remember off the top of my head what hole spacing they are. Both are Brno VZ24 actions which are an exact copy of FN made actions, just no stripper clip.
Really dislike Warne style bases, avoid at all cost.

Cheers.
why

I
I have changed all my mausers too Warne bases ,I have redfield one piece ,two piece ,Leopold standard ,Leopold reverse front standard rear etc .etc. why would you say avoid at all costs .I'll post some pictures if the op would like . Most all my mausers have the hump ground or milled down . If you do that you better make sure you match it perfect too the metal behind the hump or you will be shiming it . It really doesn't matter leaving the hump . If you are doing a full custom build xxx grade walnut , color case hardening . Jeweled bolt etc etc then go all the way , if your trying too build a shooter it isn't necessary.

Stripper clip hump ground Warne Bases Warne rings. Stripper clip hump still there on synthetic stock vortex picatanny rings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77