Old FN Mauser Action Scope Base Help

Reelamin

I have a FN Mauser action from the late 40's early 50's. Looking for Picatinny style ring bases. We could live with a rail and would prefer two piece. We can cut down a rail if we had to. The rear of the receiver is lower than the front by .208". We can shim it with some lead sheeting, and again would prefer not to if possible. The front hole spacing is .861" c/c and the rear is .516" c/c. Open to suggestions or if anyone knows where/what will fit. We can drill and counter sink new base holes if there is enough room between the stock base holes. Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
I have Warne 2 piece bases on my 98. They seem to have a lot of 2 piece bases for 98 and 96 actions. Not sure what the hole spacing is on them

I don't know Mauser actions. I have had one Model 98 from my first deer rifle since 77 and it has the same bases and scope on it. This is a older neighbors rifle custom made by his father in 250/3000 Savage on the barrel. Just wanted to shoot it and needs a scope. I can just search Mauser and that will work? I was looking for specific FN Mauser.

My FN action is a Mauser made in Herstal Belgique 1910 ,it Originally was a 7x57 ,now it's a 270 WCF, it wear's Redfield aluminum two piece bases Pat.#L837290 , hope this helps ,Cheers

OP ,check out Weaver two piece bases made of aluminum, they might even make a picatinny one piece,(note ) I've never had a two piece aluminum Weaver base fail Ever!!!, Cheers 🍻

OP ,check out Weaver two piece bases made of aluminum, they might even make a picatinny one piece,(note ) I've never had a two piece aluminum Weaver base fail Ever!!!, Cheers 🍻
Thank you very much. Nor me....went through everything I have. Nothing I have matches up. I have an email into them as the package are closed now days. We have a couple suggestions from last night on the way. Talley says they don't make anything that would fit. I cut and pasted my original post to multiple companies. I will post up what we end up doing....and the god awful cluster he wanted me to put together yesterday.

Murphy precision
I think these may be what you are looking for [/QUOTE I would go with the warne bases the only thing you need too know on the 98 large ring is , has the stripper clip hump been milled off ,If notorder the non altered bases . If the action has been drilled and taped for a two piece base the hole spacing is usually universal weaver , redfield etc. If the drill and taping is for a one piece base they will still work minus one hole on the rear base . You can have a gunsmith drill and tap for that later. any questions be more specific and I can help you there is a lot more options.

Here is a better response too your question. The hole spacing are the same on the Warne 2 piece bases that you mentioned on your post the 2 base options are Maxima 2 piece steel M902/832M fits mauser98 unaltered models. That's with the rear stripper clip hump.Next Warne 2 piece Stella bases M902/830m fits commercial 98 models and altered 98 models stripper clip milled down . Note Warne rings or picatanny style rings will work on Warne bases ,but Warne rings won't fit the Picatanny bases .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
I always grind the stripper clip down to suit the contour behind it. Some bases look funny due to the cut underneath where the stripper clip would normally be.
I don't have access to a couple I have in the shop right now, but I can post pics if you would like when I get in there next.
Can't remember off the top of my head what hole spacing they are. Both are Brno VZ24 actions which are an exact copy of FN made actions, just no stripper clip.
Really dislike Warne style bases, avoid at all cost.

Cheers.

Can't remember off the top of my head what hole spacing they are. Both are Brno VZ24 actions which are an exact copy of FN made actions, just no stripper clip.
Really dislike Warne style bases, avoid at all cost.

Cheers.
Photos would be great when you get time.