Ok Where to begin....

41mag

So here it is in a nutshell.

I have been shooting the older Federal load which uses the 150gr Solid Base at around 3250'ish fps. I haven't bothered with loading for this thing since the Fed fodder shoots so darned well.

That said, I have just about any powder I could want to choose from beginning with RL-22 on through the main stream factory stuff into 860, and 872.

My initial plans were to load up and run some 160'ish grain bullets in the STW and concentrate on the 139'ish bullets in the 7 RM. I haven't gotten to either one yet.

So not knowing how many rounds the older Rem Senadero had through it before I picked her up second hand, and knowing I have close to 200 rounds of the factory stuff through it now, which powder would you start with, if you were going for the shortest work up to find a good shooting load? I'm not looking to break any speed records just looking for a great shooting stable load.

As for primers, and brass, I'm set with all the Fed GM 215M's I can handle. It is my preferred primer for anything going over 70grs of powder. Brass I have in both once fired Federal form the factory stuff, plenty, and a few hundred each in Rem and Winchester brand new still in the bags.

The main bullet I have on hand for it is the Hornady 162gr SPBT and several hundred of a "VERY SIMILAR to Hornady" 162gr Plastic Tipped Bonded Core Blem. I figured either one would work just fine on the deer and hogs I play around after, and for the most part anything else I set them to task on for that matter. I have plenty others all lighter however that I can use but would like to stick with this one for the STW.

Anyway throw a fellow a bone here, I read through most of the post in the loading thread below, and like I mention have H-1000, RL-25 and others in enough quantity to burn out the remainder of this barrel and most of another one. Give me your best thoughts on where to start. I'm not a real fan of 25 since here we get some pretty big temp swings and I have found that it gets a bit touchy when worked up in mid ranged temps and then touched off when it's a bit hotter. Don't forget I am also down here in real atmosphere, that actually has water in it, sometimes almost thick enough to see. It can and does have an influence on powder charges as we found out when working up the 270 AM.

Anyway throw something out there and I will give it a try. Hopefully this weekend even with the heat we're supposed to have I am going to try and get out to shoot.

Mike, my favorite load to date is 82-rl25-145LRX, ( Barnes ), and GM215 primers, @ 3.686 OAL. My favorite powder used to be RL 22, but my rifles LOVE the 25 quite better. I have had a love affair with this round since about 1996. I shoot almost every other normal , or traditional rounds as well, but the STW, is by far my favorite. I have used H1000 as well, and have had great results as well. Another bullet that I have used is a140 CT, @ about 3400 fps. It smokes deer in their tracks.
The LRX bullet is incredible. The accuracy is very consistent, averaging less then 1/2 at 100 yards, and I have several sub 1/2 inch groups at 200-250 yards. And on the terminal end of things, all I can say is WOW! Nothing walks away with that bullet!
Tracking SUCKS! I tried another well known bullet makers bullet, and was dis appointed, Severely!!! The Barnes bullet didn't let me down, but **** sure Downed the deer!!!!! FWIW!

I also use 82.0 rl25 with a 140, but I use the nosler accubond instead of the 145 barnes. It's shot well it three stw's for me so far. Usually you will end up around 3400 fps. I'd light it with a 215 and seat to 3.6" to 3.65" to start with. Rl 25 has been shooting well for me in N.D. from 0 degrees to 100+ degrees in the stw so don't worry too much.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.