OK, My turn on the 6.5 Creedmoor

I enjoy the 6.5 Creedmoor as well, I like Brownings, well built for the money. 41.0 gr. of IMR4451 behind berger 140 gr VLD Fed 210, Hornady brass will shoot well in mine.
Got a 6mm creed that will out shoot it but wind drift effects the 107 gr Sierra more.

Ummm, NO there isn't. Accuracy has to do with the rifle and barrel, and NOT the cartridge design. Any cartridge can be accurate.

Then why has virtually every short range benchrest match since the introduction of the 6mm PPC, been won by a 6mm PPC? If it were not more inherently accurate than other cartridges, then why are other cartridges not winning also?

Then why has virtually every short range benchrest match since the introduction of the 6mm PPC, been won by a 6mm PPC? If it were not more inherently accurate than other cartridges, then why are other cartridges not winning also?
Because people are creatures of habit. They see someone winning using something, then they have to have one, too, because they think it will help them win. Psyop. It's how our minds work. We're wired to want to win, therefore we see someone winning, we feel we're an equally good shot, so their advantage must be the rifle... When in reality our skills might just be lacking to someone else's. And so on it goes... So they buy the rifle, and subconsciously they start shooting better because they're instantly more confident in the rifle. People see something, have to have it, and others monkey-see, monkey-do, and sales go up, something gets popular all because of nothing more than misplaced confidence. Can you kill an elk with a .223...You sure can! Folks killed them with rocks and pointy sticks for thousands of years. But you've been taught that you need some monster huge magnum cartridge because they're armor-plated beasts from hell...So you go out and buy yourself a bigger stick. That's how marketing campaigns work. ;) Does the bigger cartridge work better? Probably, because of more energy exerted into the target. But dead is still dead, nonetheless.

Same reason why for 50 years prior the .308 Win was dominating shooting comps. It's just a good cartridge, with low recoil, and a very efficient charge weight, and a good case design. It's not "inherently accurate", it's just a good cartridge that's not picky.

Y'all aren't realizing that accuracy has jack-crap to do with the cartridge. It has to do with the rifle, the shooter, the ammo, and everything else.

Last edited:
Interesting opinion... I just don't agree with it. If short range BR could be won with something besides the PPC, folks would be doing it. They're not simply because there is nothing better yet.

John
Anything mental I tend to always look at from a Freudian perspective. Most everything we do is learned behaviors.

Cartridge has a lot to do with it. Many are superior to others in design for accuracy and efficiency. Fact! It has as much to do with it as the type of use, barrel, shooter, optics, etc..... to dismiss as irrelevant is wrong in this guy's opinion.

IMO, I don't believe there is anything magical about the design of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. There are numerous cartridges that have excellent designs that can deliver comparable performance. Having said that, as Roy points out, it is uncanny that a very high percentage of even entry level rifles chambered in the 6.5CM exhibit such excellent performance. I have experienced this myself. I fully agree as others have inferred that this has to do with a couple of factors. Firstly, a very definitive SAAMI chamber/cartridge spec that emerged simultaneously with equally definitive, high quality factory loads from Hornady. Hornady additionally additionally supplied information to construct performance equivalent handloads. This very structured roll out combined with a good basic cartridge design greatly minimized the introduction of variables to help insure the results. Secondly, rifle manufacturers took notice of this structured formula(or system), inducing them to follow the it, perhaps more closely then usual, to demonstrate their rifles capability, be competitive, and exploit the opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if we experience a similar dynamic with the Hornady 6.5 and 300PRC cartridges. The roll out follows the 6.5CM model. Just some thoughts.

WELL Roy... are you telling me that all that dough I recently spent on a new 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro that gives me 1/2 MOA with Hornaday ELD-M factory loads is not that X-Bolt Pro but really the cartridge?

Aaaaarrrgghhh!
Shoulda kept that 6.5 Cm Ruger American Predator that gave me the SAME accuracy. (Except I hated that non-locking bolt.)

Yes, I must say, you are correct. I get MOA or better accuracy from Hornady and Nosler 129 gr. pills up through Hornady's 147 gr. ELD-M. And that was with both the inexpensive rugged as well as teh gilded X-Bolt Pro. Amazin'!
Wonder if the 6.5 PRC is similar.

Eric B.

Praise the lord and pass the 6.5 creedmoor! I have to say I lean towards Mudrunner on this subject. All the years of shooting , loading and the money spent to improve equipment . Cleaning and breaking in barrels , triggers and glass ! All this time , money and effort and all I had to do is buy a 6.5 creedmoor in any rifle make using factory ammo and any old scope that I find and I will shoot one hole groups!
Yes the 6.5 CM is well designed and a joy to shoot . The 6.5 bullet is both aerodynamic and great for pennatration on game. It's a fine cartridge but to hear that it's going to get amazing accuracy out of every out of the box rifle from every manufacturer is this round in to mythical status . Precision chambers, high quality barrels and pillar bedding , expensive triggers and high performance glass is a distant memory now. We have the creedmoor
I don't want to sound like I'm calling anyone out , I am not but the author of this thread you are lucky and should play the lottery because you are way a head of the odds. I am also not a hater because I like the round as well. I'm just a supporter of anything , there are greater and lesser rifles brass scopes mounts and shooters to say that I need to toss all my stuff away and buy a couple 6.5 CR's !
BTW I bought for my son in-law a Remington 700 ADL 270 win from Walmart 12 or so years ago that I put a 3x 12 scope on of modest quality and some Remington 130 gr Core-Lokts . It shoots ragged one hole groups whit the factory set trigger. He won't change a thing! The 270 win is the mystical round!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.