My new 6.5 Creedmoor

Clayne B

Got a new rifle, Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, Went with a somewhat common reload, I had a match coming up in 2 days and had basically an hour after work to get it sighted in and ready to go. Loaded up 100 rounds and took it out.

Here is a shot video, the rifle has less than 20 rounds threw it in this video
Shooting 475 -825 yards.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPJQan-EEM]6.5 Creedmoor 475 & 825 Yards - YouTube[/ame]

The match went good for what little time I had with the rifle. I got 6th place out of 19 shooters

This was from one of the stages, 200 yards weak side! "left handed"

After less than 90 rounds threw the rifle, I am very happy with it.

I like your break-in method...Sounds very similar to mine. LOL

While I'm not a Savage (bad pun intended), that's a great caliber. Looks like a good heavy barrel on there, too. What length did you go with?

speaking of bbl break ins. My 6.5 CM was kind of a test rifle in some ways. Tested a few different things that worked out pretty well.

Rifle is a GAP Templar custom
Manners T5 with mini chassis with glass bed to boot
20" Bartlien light varmit gain twist 10-8.17
XMark pro (tuned to 2.5 lbs)
G2DMR in badger rings

Rifle came in when I was out on the road. I showed back up to the house the evening before the local 600 yd BR match.

I always break my bbl in per manufactures how to.
I had great luck with the bartlein before it 308
I decided to not do a thing to it to see how it turns out.
I showed up the the match an hour early to put the scope on at 100 yds and shoot the berm at 800 yds to get an idea of MV

I saw where I was and felt good and went to the big steel plate at 600.
Shot and it went dead center, felt good. Next one went way over.
Next one went real low and so on. Terrible groups.
I called all my shots good and wind was not the issue.

I was worried about it since I didn't break the bbl in but shut down when the guys were ready to setup. I got my bench and got ready to be disappointed. I was glad to be around some shooters finally and our local BR guys are pretty good.

Setup on my bipod and went on to the match. Dialed in 3.5 mils and went for my steel and drilled it. Went on to shoot 48s average and have had not a lick of trouble with it ever. Its got 1400 rounds in it now and I have cleaned it once and weve shot 20 shot groups fast at 900 and 1000 yds first to test its consistency. does great.

I waited till I shot 1K rounds of factory ammo in it before I cleaned it the first time ever and it cleaned fast and easy.
I probably wont break in another custom bbl again. That thing is sweet. Im not a fan of cleaning anyway so it should work out. I never knew why the gun didn't want to shoot the first few like my surgeons did but I don't care. She came alive very soon afterwards.

Yours looks to be .25 MOA rig.
Cant beat that

I did the same with my .308 rem 700, it had 1700 rounds when I sold it and it shot in the .3's when I let it go.

I will be shooting the 6.5 again this weekend, I plan on taking it out to a mile!

Thanks for the post. I've been considering that setup for a while. What magazine system are you running on that? From the Savage product literature they say it has a 4 round capacity. Are you running any other mods? Thanks again for the vid. Nicely done on the competition with so little time.

how about the stock; is that aftermarket? I have a LRP in 6.5 CM and it doesn't have a stock like that (doesn't have a pistol grip and has more of a straight combed stock).

Those good bullets and long bbl with help you out a lot at a mile. I shoot mine out to 1300is pretty often and have shot about a mile a time or two. With my 20"bbl I have to shoot 140s to get any type of success. I've shot my 28" 260 with 142 smks a mile several times with decent results. A week or two I shot the 20" 1330 yards with awesome results and was super surprised as I was shooting 120 amax. Dialed 19 mils and she grouped em right in top of the others. The amax seems to transition the transonic/subsonic range very well. I plan on trying to do some more shooting this weekend at 1300-1400 range and see how it does.

Bottom line is the creedmore has really impressed me. It efficient and accurate.

Let me know how you do at a mile. Can you do another video.

how about the stock; is that aftermarket? I have a LRP in 6.5 CM and it doesn't have a stock like that (doesn't have a pistol grip and has more of a straight combed stock).
From what I read, the LRP comes in an HS Precision stock from the factory.

The rifle is 100% factory

very nice. I did a quick google search and it looks like Savage changed the stock configuration earlier this year. Mine is the old style; I like yours better.
I'm very impressed with my LRP; sounds like yours is a shooter as well. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.