OK I'm going to learn how to use MOA instead of a custom dial. Scenario Questions

BDC dials and reticles work if you take the time to figure out what it is doing when things change.
The DTR reticle from David Tubb has the ballistics app that corrects for DA angle different load. The best feature for me is the app. Once you load a profile it's an easy adjustment with no mph to moa or mills for wind the wind dots are in the app with a mph value. It will give you an effective hold point. In one of his baboon hunting videos the shooter hits a baboon with a 6xc at 2003yds with an effective hold point of 15xxyds due to a faster muzzle velocity and cosine angle.
If you shoot a bdc dial or turret. You will have to figure out your dope chart for the dial then adjust for velocity changes cosine angle and density altitude. Your turret might need the 500yd mark plus 1/2moa or .3mils due to a slower charge due to a 45 degree change in temp from when you developed your load. It can go the other way if your shooting in the summer and gain 75fps or 3000' of da due to that 75fps more speed.
We can talk ourselves into and out of anything. Get out to the range and start shooting to create your dope for whatever you are shooting. Actual on target data beats every other method you can use. If you look in Revelations in the bible even there they tell you to write it down for the future. I cannot remember the number or the whole scripture without looking it up but I do remember the context of it. As far as best app to use for this. His system has some elr cold bore records running his app scope and rifle you can change to a 22 creedmoor from the monster XC stuff he developed.

Last edited:
For all that are saying ....there are moments when you don't have time...

You ARE NOT playing the game right....

This is LR hunting and if you feel rushed to take the shot —— DON'T take it

Clearly there is a lot of hunters here that have never killed anything at long range

There is no such thing as a rushed shot or you can't take the time to use a kestrel or make a wind call the animal might only be there for a second Jesus H Christ we are talking on a LR hunting forum lol

Please for those of you who think about a "quick shot" leave the LR hunting to those who actually practice it

I guess that I need to find another form to read as most of my kills these days are at 50-100 yards on called coyote or stalked coyote . I just enjoy shooting at longer ranges but like the challenge of getting as close to my intended target as I can that's my type of hunting .

I guess that I need to find another form to read as most of my kills these days are at 50-100 yards on called coyote or stalked coyote . I just enjoy shooting at longer ranges but like the challenge of getting as close to my intended target as I can that's my type of hunting .

24 hour camp fire Is a good site to start with maybe try a bow hunting site too

If you're on this forum you must enjoy longer range shots but we have to take game where it comes out

SHDeersniper second focal plane reticals stay the same size when you change power and thus can be used for ranging an animal if you know what the average size of that species is at the chest for example coyotes in my area run 22 - 24 inches at the front shoulder . Set your scope say on 10 power mark a 24 " target at 100 yards then read the mils move to 150 and read the mils ect . record those numbers for latter use . If I remember right the military used 18" as that's the average mans size from chin to belt buckle . You can find good info on the use of scopes for ranging now days as many books have been written on the subject by ex-military snipers as well as long range shooters.
? That is info from like the 80s. You can use ffp Moa or mil scopes to very accurately range known size targets.

When I started long range shooting there weren't any sites or others in my area that did it . You couldn't find a first focal plane scope and if you ask at a sporting goods store or gun shop they looked at you like you had just escaped from the mental ward . So I read and studied what I could find and did the best that I could with what I had to work with . During the Vietnam era we didn't even have a lot of gas filled scopes available to us , I started out with Weaver and Redfield steel tube scopes , as did a lot of others on this site , we learned to stalk our game and get as close as we could to it . Some of us were limited to using slug guns for deer hunting as well . My first scopes were fix power didn't have adjustments for anything on them weighed a lot and fogged up . The long range shooting sport has really came of age since the war on terror has been going on . As with other things it seems that we progress during a time of war as the military has a need for this kind of equipment and it gets more attention and study . We have more people being trained in the art of the Snipper in all branches of the service and they bring that home with them and get more people interested in the long range shooting . The sport of long range shooting has come a long way since the 60's there are a lot more people out there that have learned and studied it and are willing to share their knowledge now more then at any other time in the history of shooting . I'll step down from my soap box now .

I am not on the same page as some here.

As I recall, Len started this forum because long range hunting was frowned on at other sites because long range shots were not generally considered ethical. With better rifles, better loads, better equipment, better knowledge, and most of all better shooters, it has become quite realistic to take longer shots with confidence.

However, there are no rules or guidelines for this forum that I know of that insist that all members only focus on long range. Hunting is hunting - whether that is 10 yards or 1000. I'd like to think that everyone here can benefit from any discussion about rifles at any range and that the long range aspects are inclusive not exclusive.

No competent long range shooter that I know would back up 1000 yards from a 50 point buck encountered at 50 yards for the sake of avoiding a close range shot.

My thanks to Len Backus for making it possible to include the aspects of long range hunting in our discussions.

And also my thanks to all those members who welcome all discussions regardless of range. We all benefit from sharing with each other.

I use a dope chart that I print out about the size of a credit card from the ballistics app I use. Then highlight every other line for readability, and either laminate or tape both sides with packaging tape. I always apply a 10mph crosswind. I can then have a solid estimate relative to the current conditions I'm in. I attached a photo of one of my dope cards. You can either tape to your stock, or keep with you.

This is a very simple method that has proven very successful for me.

Attachments

• 44B3C57B-2784-4C4A-BB19-B8181256DBD5.jpeg
    44B3C57B-2784-4C4A-BB19-B8181256DBD5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.