How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

Factory ammo has come a long way - I handload, but don't love doing it...mostly because I am in a phase in my life where work is busy and kids have ball games etc. I always try a couple different boxes of premium factory ammo, hornady match and precision hunter have treated me well - it hasn't been hard to find something that consistently shoots 1/2-3/4 moa. If I for some reason I can't, then I work up some handloads.

For years people moaned about a 308 being adequate for elk. Id take a 308 with a 180 at 200 before a 6.5 with a 150 at 200 any day.
I was thinking about this... My brother shoots 178eldx hornady load in his bull barrel 308. I have the same gun in 6.5 creed and shoot eldx factory ammo (and handloads now). I run the 2 through strelok and notice the 700 yard energy. Within 1 lbs. The creed is the faster @ 1838.

This isnt to argue about anything. Its interesting though. The eldx bullets @ 515 yards mushroomed well and were in the hide on the other side. My brother wanted to use his .308 but it wasnt ready so he used my bull barrel creedmoor and I shot mine next to his with my smaller creedmoor. And then the neverending meet cutting began.
Capture+_2019-03-24-21-51-42.png
Capture+_2019-03-24-21-50-49.png

Crappy Hunt? How many elk have you taken? Been on many elk hunts in the mountains? I bet this hunt got him a better trophy then you will ever get.

I have hunted a hell of a lot of Mule Deer with 7RM and '06 in mountains just like that. Calling the wind a 600 yards when it is blowing over, through, up, down ridges is tough, now figure out the trees blocking the wind in different areas.

The guy got a first round hit that was inches from a perfect shot. You couldn't do that, and if you say you can you lie. I have shot competition, spent years hunting in the mountains, and have burned a hell of a lot of ammo shooting long range while in the mountains. I would never think "oh I got this shot" when you have wind going over ridges like that. Bullets can jump a foot up or down from the drafts at 600 yards and there is never any shot to shot consistency in calling the wind. You think going to the same range, calling the same wind, same angle, same known yards is ANYTHING like taking that shot?

Now, have you ever shot something and tracked it in your scope waiting for a follow up shot? Go figure the POI change from the first shot that was uphill, to the second shot down hill. Now figure the POI change if the elk was just 30 yards closer or farther away, with wind/angle. Now put yourself in the moment where you are actually the hunter that has 1 shot on the wounded elk, did you pay attention to the changes in target distance/wind/angle or did you just follow the animal and shoot when another shot presented itself.

People on here are so F-O-S. I have been around so many hunters, marksmen, and competition shooters...... but none of them hold a candle to how well any of you guys shoot. D*mn you are all a bunch of guys that put the first round in a 4 inch circle at 600 yards while hunting in the mountains, I am so G-D-mn impressed with you all. A bunch of perfect shots being fired on this thread today.
Isn't it funny how everybody is a expert behind their keyboard? Shooting in the mountains adds another level of difficulty.

I agree 100%. At least use something with a 250 minimum grain bullet.
I hope this was supposed to be funny?
This has reinforced why I won't hunt public land! People do as they want as is their right. On my partners and my land WE make the rules like no 222.. 223..22-250's
For deer hunting. Some years we do does only. No skyline shooting and proving you can shoot BEFORE we go out. The problems have about ceased!
Hope you don't plan on a western hunt. Most hunting out here is public land and I prefer to hunt public land. Makes it sweeter when you harvest a animal that everyone has a equal chance to hunt.

Exactly. I'm sorry. That idiot was thinking how cool he would be with that elk on his wall. He was not thinking bout shooting. He certainly was not thinking at all when he made the second thru last shots.
There is no cure for stupid. The guy in that video had never shot anything alive at 600 yards. He bought a LONG RANGE gun and a really big scope he probably had set on 30x and trusted the FORCE to do the rest. His experience clearly has been on level ground off a bench. We have all made bad shots. Ive never made two in a row. I like to think that if that guy wasn't a yahoo he would have never posted that video. Clearly he is too stupid to realize just how bad it is. Kinda like being proud of crashing your car while drunk and bragging about walking away.

The tell in that this guy is a moron is the follow up shots. There are some good shooters here. I hope they would all agree that when we miss a shot like that its likley a bad read, angle, wind, distance, etc. The difference is those of us who can shoot would understand instantly from that shot and know intuitively what to correct to make the followup without holding a conference or opting for a life-line call back to the gun shop. And more importantly, if we have to make a second shot our focus on our form and execution goes to another level because we understand our responsibility to these animals is not just a cliche. That clown had no idea what he did wrong the first time so he had no idea what to fix.
You know what they say in the navy, if you can't tie a good knot tie a whole bunch of bad ones. If you can't make a good shot make a whole bunch of bad ones. And someone mentioned Elk fever. Anyone who gets elk fever 600 yards away from an animal has never done this beforeand shouldn't be doing it at all. I'm sorry but this kind of thing really p——-es me off.
The " buck/bull fever" is all in people's heads. Experience or lack thereof shows when someone cannot keep their composer when a animal is in their scope and until your 100% sure the animal is dead.

Hope you don't plan on a western hunt. Most hunting out here is public land and I prefer to hunt public land. Makes it sweeter when you harvest a animal that everyone has a equal chance to hunt.
where i live i spend more time hunting for a place to hunt than actually hunting. I often have to use the hunters to my advantage. Sometimes it works. Some spots i have thought i was far enough in. Then you shoot and every one hikes up to you and asks if ya got one. Blows my fuse. ( idaho has went down hill). To many tags sold.

where i live i spend more time hunting for a place to hunt than actually hunting. I often have to use the hunters to my advantage. Sometimes it works. Some spots i have thought i was far enough in. Then you shoot and every one hikes up to you and asks if ya got one. Blows my fuse. ( idaho has went down hill). To many tags sold.
Been getting pretty bad in a few places down here in the last few years. Still have my honey holes that are off the beaten path. I feel sorry for you guys up North having to deal with the wolves.

Isn't it funny how everybody is a expert behind their keyboard? Shooting in the mountains adds another level of difficulty.

I hope this was supposed to be funny?

The " buck/bull fever" is all in people's heads. Experience or lack thereof shows when someone cannot keep their composer when a animal is in their scope and until your 100% sure the animal is dead.

Public land:
I get that. Killed a lot of whitetail on patches of land other people wouldn't think held a squirrel.

Buck Fever:
Exactly. They start thinking of how cool they will look in the pictures as they are pulling the trigger. Just adds a level of fear of failure into the mind. Can't think of two things same time. I understand how it happens. But some have said it here best, practice, practice, practice. I'm from the aim small miss small school. I picked a spot and never saw that critter again till it was down.

Dropping your arm is a real issue in archery. The mind is a funny thing. It seems to confuse timing a lot of times. People release and drop their arms at the same time trying to see where the arrow is going. Often people move their heads before they fire. I see people do this on targets and also animals. The trigger goes off and the head pops right up to get a clear view of the miss. Follow thru is about the most important thing and its the first thing lost in excitement. Watch the bullet hit the spot and it almost always works out. It's a lesson hard learned, and sadly harder still for the poor animal. I'm a big believer in training. Unfortunately, many of the young shooter/hunters I see don't seem to need or want any.

Not sure what you are referring to. Where did you see pistol reference?

Towards the end of the video, they find the elk at the base of the hill in the tree line. It was (I assume) bedded down, and they shot it with a pistol and then again with the 6.5CM.

Towards the end of the video, they find the elk at the base of the hill in the tree line. It was (I assume) bedded down, and they shot it with a pistol and then again with the 6.5CM.

Thanks. I'm going to rant now: Please forgive me.
I missed that part of the video. So all the 6.5 proponents who cheered the shot that dropped and killed the poor critter as evidence of 6.5 credibility really only ensured he suffered more while F-troop marched 600 yards (20 min) hi-fiving and glad-handing only to pump a few more into him, while certainly making certain they didn't damage the skull or skin? Makes me sick.

If that video doesn't make anyone else sick they are part of the problem.

When I bow hunted RI they had a test before you could get a bow lic. You had to shoot a deer target and put 3 broadheads into a small kill area at 20 yards. You put one out, you failed. It's a shame we can't all hold ourselves to those same standards with rifles. I can't tell you how many times a guy has shown up at the range in his cammo and his $2500 kung-fu rail-gun Super X7-U2-47 space/man magnum-HUNTING rifle with a $3000 interstellar huble 59 power scope with the swiss army knife lens covers and starts winging lead at the 800 yard target. I've asked many, "how did you break in that barrel" or "how many moa up are you from your zero", or "where is your zero" or my favorite, "how many moa are you for a full value 10mph wind @ 50". Only to hear, "Oh I just hold right or left" 5 times out of ten its just the deer in the headlight stare. Then they bring in the human silhouette target with 5 hits, one in each corner and one near the navel which they photograph and text off to their equally stupid friends. And we let them hunt. This video is exactly the garbage the antis will put in their next save the whale campaign or anti-gun, anti-hunting fund raiser.

I'm ashamed and sad for us all.

So all the 6.5 proponents who cheered the shot that dropped and killed the poor critter as evidence of 6.5 credibility really only ensured he suffered more while F-troop marched 600 yards (20 min) hi-fiving and glad-handing only to pump a few more into him, while certainly making certain they didn't damage the skull or skin
Seems like a ditorted way of seeing the discussion. Not all who aplauded what happened ar "6.5 proponents". And a lot of us who agree he would have sucked just as bad with an ultra mag dont find it damning evidence for various reasons. Try not lump everyone in the same category just because there are different opinions. I dont see eye to eye with every point you make but we do agree that video was hard to watch and elk wasnt harvested as clean as most try to do it.

Seems like a ditorted way of seeing the discussion. Not all who aplauded what happened ar "6.5 proponents". And a lot of us who agree he would have sucked just as bad with an ultra mag dont find it damning evidence for various reasons. Try not lump everyone in the same category just because there are different opinions. I dont see eye to eye with every point you make but we do agree that video was hard to watch and elk wasnt harvested as clean as most try to do it.

Agreed, this thread shouldn't be about the 6.5CM. It should be about the hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.