Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my .270 Win. & 7mm Rem. Mag. out to the Range the other day and was challenged to a 200yd Shootout against a 6.5 Creed ... after hearing all about this golden boy round ballistics I thought why not let's see what happens, much to the the other shooters disappointment the 270 out shot the 6.5 ... Then I started shooting the 7mm out to the 350yd. waiting for another challenge , no takers oh well maybe next time ... Oh did I say I don't own a 6.5 and it looks like I don't need one. ...

Took my .270 Win. & 7mm Rem. Mag. out to the Range the other day and was challenged to a 200yd Shootout against a 6.5 Creed ... after hearing all about this golden boy round ballistics I thought why not let's see what happens, much to the the other shooters disappointment the 270 out shot the 6.5 ... Then I started shooting the 7mm out to the 350yd. waiting for another challenge , no takers oh well maybe next time ... Oh did I say I don't own a 6.5 and it looks like I don't need one. ...
Did your rifle out shoot the other rifle, or did YOU out shoot the other guy?

this literally means nothing, especially at the yardages you are speaking off. Sounds like you were shooting for eithers small groups or points in the 10 ring at those distances, neither of which have to do with the type of round you use at those distances. Accuracy and small groups, which is what you are speaking of, has to do with the shooter and all the components of the rifle/cartridge put together. The 6.5cm was never meant to replace a 270 or 7mm rem mag. The biggest benefits is it is a short action round (neither of yours are) and work better short round guns such as AR platforms. It also has the benefit of very low recoil and a wealthy selection of bullets to choose from which again, your 270 falls WAY short. Now if you wish to argue the whole 6.5cm vs. 260 vs. the sweed, by all means because that makes sense...but to say a 270 or 7mm rem mag are better than a 6.5cm is comparing apples and oranges. They are different things. The 7mm rem mag is a high velocity magnum cartridge. With heavy for caliber bullets, will definitely outshoot the 6.5 creed at all distances BUT at a cost (barrel burning and recoil). The 270 will only outshoot the 6.5 at ranges where wind drift does not matter, then the 6.5 will likely win past that if using heavy bullets. The 270 is a much flatter shooter at ranges under 400 yards but again has a terrible selection of bullet choices and even worse selection of factory rifles. In my opinion the 6.5cm beats the 270 for those reasons.

To mean, the 6.5cm (this includes the 260) is about the perfect round for a hunter shooting deer to 400 yards and they want lower recoil but a bit more punch than a 243, and the want a light weight rifle. If the 260 had the same widely available factory rifles and ammo...I would choose that over a 6.5cm but it just does not. Many people bash the 6.5cm but they shouldn't. Ammo and rifle choices are great. The day we start losing choices is the day I will complain and be sad. my two cents.

Did your rifle out shoot the other rifle, or did YOU out shoot the other guy?
That was my thoughts. 200 isnt very far. Now get out to 1000+.... now were cooking with gas!
200 yards? I hope you were shooting at really small targets. At 200 theres not much that comes into effect other than just a good shooting rifle and shooter. That has nothing to do with a rifle cartridge. Heck I bet a tuned 30-30 could shoot pretty well at 200 in the right platform!

Last edited:
Everyone wants the creedmoor to fail I don't know why they shoot great and kill well then you get cpl Austin saying this the shooters are a big thing so as ammo and rifles was it 2 factory rifles shooting factory ammo heck I know people that can outshoot other with a 22 at 200 yards

Everyone wants the creedmoor to fail I don't know why they shoot great and kill well then you get cpl Austin saying this the shooters are a big thing so as ammo and rifles was it 2 factory rifles shooting factory ammo heck I know people that can outshoot other with a 22 at 200 yards
I don't think people really want to see the 6.5 Creedmoor fail or fall on its face. I totally agree with Bigeclipse. He hit it right on the head. All fact. The .260 IMO IS superior ballistically BUT hardly any good ammo is offered and limited rifles are built from the factory. Any educated shooter or hunter knows this. Makes the 6.5 Creedmoor a valuable rifle to non-reloaders. My beef mostly is with the false claims Hornady makes about the 6.5 CM out performing the .260. There are many, many shooters shooting that cartridge that are also brainwashed into thinking along those lines. It's not. It's designed to shoot long heavy bullets at long ranges. Also from ARs. The long neck allows a full case of powder while seating bullets way out in the neck. Something the .260 can't do. Case capacity is still short of the .260 and so is performance but accuracy is what counts and it does shoot. Can't take away that fact.

Ummmm.......I don't think anyone on here wants to see the cartridge fail, I am thinking that most of the critical remarks are against the marketing hype. I don't think that the cartridge will ever fail for at least one or two years, then the next greatest, latest, long range, five-mile dragon slayer, the .25 Creedmore or whatever will come out. From there the 6.5 Creed will fall off into the dust because of the new cartridge and marketing hype. Sort of like how the .280 Ackley Improved has done. How many articles do you read about the .280AI, probably none! I have at least 4-5 hunting, shooting or reloading magazine subscriptions, don't see the .280AI in them. For a person who is looking for a long-range cartridge, that uses a minimal amount of powder, with a large selection of bullets, the .280AI is a tough cartridge to beat!! The 6.5 Creedmore is a great cartridge, but.... like any cartridge it has its limitations, some people are of the belief that it can kill anything at long distances and most of us critiquing the round do not. It's not the cartridge, it's the marketing "Creedmore cool-aide" that some shooters have drank causing the negativism.

Ummmm.......I don't think anyone on here wants to see the cartridge fail, I am thinking that most of the critical remarks are against the marketing hype. I don't think that the cartridge will ever fail for at least one or two years, then the next greatest, latest, long range, five-mile dragon slayer, the .25 Creedmore or whatever will come out. From there the 6.5 Creed will fall off into the dust because of the new cartridge and marketing hype. Sort of like how the .280 Ackley Improved has done. How many articles do you read about the .280AI, probably none! I have at least 4-5 hunting, shooting or reloading magazine subscriptions, don't see the .280AI in them. For a person who is looking for a long-range cartridge, that uses a minimal amount of powder, with a large selection of bullets, the .280AI is a tough cartridge to beat!! The 6.5 Creedmore is a great cartridge, but.... like any cartridge it has its limitations, some people are of the belief that it can kill anything at long distances and most of us critiquing the round do not. It's not the cartridge, it's the marketing "Creedmore cool-aide" that some shooters have drank causing the negativism.
Anything Creedmoor will rise above. Anything Hornady touches, turns to gold if it has Creedmoor on it

At matches my 308 sometimes out shoots the 6mms and 6.5s...but not nearly enough for my liking lol.
Doesn't really mean anything.
At 200yds, basically any centerfire cartridge has similar ballistics.

I'm not a 6.5 fan,,, well not until things played out this winter till spring that is...

My shoulder has been getting beat up pretty bad over the years,,, I added an expensive gel pad,,, then thickened up as well... This spring I wanted to see what my Sherman 30/06 would do with hot 200 gr boolitz. Ha,,, the rifle loved this hot charge for sure,,, my body did not...

So the time has come to step it back once again,,, 375 H&H to the 300 and 338 Mags,,, 5 years ago I bumped it back to nothing larger than 30/06 /// 308,,, and now I've I've joined in on the After market 6.5 secret Society as of yesterday... LOL...

Deffinatly not the real Creedmoor thing that is...

I decided to go with the Newton idea from years ago,,, the Samii to this is known as the 6.5-30/06 or better known as the 6.5 A-square... The benefit for me is the lighter boolitz,,, a chance to run medium/ hot loads in the 140/147 gr category,,, of coures I'm adding enough spin to handle the 160 class as well...

My end build might show up at 12 or 13 lbs that I can work with,,, limited mountain humping and mostly rolly hill stuff,,, of course there will be lots of laying flat hunting for the critters to come to me... All close range critter stuff that is...

Now the fun part,,, if I tap it kool on the range with kool down time,,, stay on top of the fast easy cleaning and prevent excessive burn flash with tame loads,,, I'll pull off some barrel life...

-- Less bullet weight recoil.
-- Tap it kool powder charge recoil.
-- Mid Heavy weight rifle to dammed recoil.
-- Rifle ergonomics profile recoil system.
-- And no MB.

All the above will help me remain in the game of good times,,, that's what really counts...

I could of become the 6mm dude,,, but I'll hold off for another few years before I wear that hat...

At least I will have One 30 cal so I can be part of both hunting camps of big bores and Feather weigths. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.