Oh No!!! I ruined my barrel with a bronze brush!

I use both in my cleaning routine. Start with bronze to do the heavy lifting and then switch to nylon to eliminate copper coming from the brush.
I also have a brass ball to polish my crown every so often.

Think about it, would you polish your stainless steel tableware with a bronze brush?
No? Then why the hell would you use it to clean your barrels?
One thing good about LRH is all the input and "OPINIONS"
You can read the replies and suggestions then make your own determination
Darn all our "Tableware are SILVER" so we polish with silver cleaner.
SS Tableware usually does not need to be "Polished". We have a dishwasher for cleaning.

Don't see your point with your statement.

The VIDEO was to show that Bronze/Copper Bore Brushes don't damage the BORE. A MYTH in the shooting community.
We never "Polish" the bores in our barrels-we just clean them. We use a nylon brush to apply solvents to remove copper and carbon. Then Bronze/copper brush to remove carbon that won't come out. How can "Copper/Bronze" do any harm to Stainless Steel/Steel barrels. If you look on the Metal Chart and Hardness Scale copper bronze is much lower the SS.

Last edited:
I mistakenly used a stainless steel brush on my Krieger barrel and felt sick after I used it but then found this thread and I now don't feel too bad

It's a good read with interesting comments. Brownells sells them.

Last edited:
Sure, it's softer than steel so it won't scratch it. There's also no reason to use one. Use a correct solvent and all you'll ever need is patches.

I don't clean my barrels for fun. I clean maybe twice over the life of an average 6mm barrel.

I clean my barrel every time I use them to maintain their long range accuracy. I use a copper/bronze brush with ballitol to remove powder and carbon fouling then patch out dry.
Then I will use the nylon brush soaked in sweets 7.62 solvent to completely saturate the bore to remove the copper. Never had any issues.

Sure, it's softer than steel so it won't scratch it. There's also no reason to use one. Use a correct solvent and all you'll ever need is patches.

I don't clean my barrels for fun. I clean maybe twice over the life of an average 6mm barrel.
I realize that there are many shooters/hunters that have their way of cleaning their rifle bores for accuracy. There are so many factors in rifle accuracy including a "Fouled Barrel" and then cleaning a bore for accuracy.
There are so many factors in the BORE OF A BARELL with copper and carbon fouling. Depends on the:
  1. Barrel Material
  2. How the rifling was done, Cut, Button, Hammer
  3. Powder used
  4. Bullets used
  5. Load used
Absolute true that if you use a good solvent with a good plastic brush (remove copper & carbon) clean regular (100-200 rounds or so) use good patches you can get a clean bore without using a Copper brush.
What about the people that say the type of solvent will destroy the metal in your bore?
Thats a whole another story to cleaning a barrel bore.
So you only clean you 6mm barrel only maybe twice in the lifetime of an average barrel? What is the lifetime of average barrels in round count? What powder do you use and what bullets? I have heard of some shooters that NEVER clean the bores in their rifles. I actually know some comp shooters that don't clean for several hundred rounds, but then again, they change out barrels about 900 to 1,000 rounds.
Could you tell us the Barrels you use, powder, bullets and # of loads for a 6mm? I would love to find a barrel bore that I never have to clean and still shoot bug holes.

This ORIGIONAL POST was just to bring out the MYTH that Bronze/Copper Brushes ruin you barrel when using to clean the bore.
The video clearly shows that a Bronze/Copper brush cannot do any damage to the Lands/Groves in the barrel rifling.

If anyone has DATA that Bronze/Copper Brushes damage Steel/SS rifle material barrels, and using them effects accuracy or life of the barrels PLEASE POST this information!!!!!

I have been using these type brushes for over 50 years.
Thanks
Len

One thing is for sure, a copper brush removes crap a lot faster than a nylon one. I've kind of reverted back to using copper brushes because of that. Way fewer strokes to accomplish the same thing.

Think about it, would you polish your stainless steel tableware with a bronze brush?
No? Then why the hell would you use it to clean your barrels?
Your barrel is a lot more like your cast iron cookware than your silverware. They both experience baked on deposits that require a bit of work to remove; a bronze brush simply expedites this work. I rinse and/ or toss brushes regularly so they don't become contaminated to the point where they can damage a barrel. If you are upset on the thought of running brass/ bronze through your barrel you should look at running cast pills at mild pressure through your rifle as jacketed pills at high pressure will do a lot more damage then a brush could do if it is in good repair.

I've tried it all as I suspect many of you have. About 12 years ago I went all Tipton carbon fiber, use rife specific polymer bore guides and nickle plated Tipton jags with quality flannel patches. I remove carbon first with Hoppes #9, using a bronze brush when needed. For copper I use Wipe Out non-ammonia copper solvents (foaming and liquid). Once done I leave a light coat of Hoppes #9 in the bore and chamber. If the rifle will be stored for longer periods I use a light coat of Ballistol in the bore and chamber. Yes, all pretty old school less the Patch Out/Wipe Out. I do have other products like Sweets 7.62, Kano Oil with polish media and bore sized felt pellets in hand. But those largely occupy shelf space these days. The above meet all my needs less for lead removal from cast bullets. For that Wipe Out Lead Out is used post carbon removal and when needed I use a caliber specific Lewis Lead Tool (Brownell's).
for cast I simply use Lyman black (moly) lube and clean normally. I notice near zero leading with most loads, even at 1700 + fps in a rifle. I do gs those loads.

Not in my world... I've tried the patch/ plastic brush only game and nearly ruined my Sendero 7mm stw barrel. The carbon buildup even when using nasty solvents will put you in a hurt-bag without a bit of brushing now and again. I'll let the milder stuff (30-06 type stuff) go with a few patches and solvent for a few hundred rounds at times, but the big rifles get cleaned fully every time they are piut away.