Oh No!!! I ruined my barrel with a bronze brush!

My question is can the brass or aluminum threads on the end of a coated cleaning rod ruin the muzzle of a rifle in normal use ?
I have heard people say it can.
I asked a tool maker the same question and he laughed.
What do you say, can brass cut steel ?

Sure, it's softer than steel so it won't scratch it. There's also no reason to use one. Use a correct solvent and all you'll ever need is patches.

I don't clean my barrels for fun. I clean maybe twice over the life of an average 6mm barrel.

Do you own a borescope? And what is the typical round count before you clean?

My question is can the brass or aluminum threads on the end of a coated cleaning rod ruin the muzzle of a rifle in normal use ?
I have heard people say it can.
I asked a tool maker the same question and he laughed.
What do you say, can brass cut steel ?

Normally I would say doubtful using the proper equipment.

Being a former Marine Corps grunt, I'm convinced an anvil can be tore up with a feather in the right hands. šŸ˜…

Sure, it's softer than steel so it won't scratch it. There's also no reason to use one. Use a correct solvent and all you'll ever need is patches.

I don't clean my barrels for fun. I clean maybe twice over the life of an average 6mm barrel.
I'm curious.. what's correct solvent?

This collective exchange proves one unique facet of our shared passion.

One size seldom fits most. A truth that spans humanity.

Don't believe me? OK, I challenge you to visit Walmart. Go to the ladies "unmentionables" section.

Note the vast diversity of sizes in thongs alone. A frightening truth that cannot be denied.

It's OK for you to do you, and me to do me.

Think about it, would you polish your stainless steel tableware with a bronze brush?
No? Then why the hell would you use it to clean your barrels?
Well yes you can and do. In fact millions of us have used lots of steel wool on fine dishes and silver without a problem too. See Brillo Pads.

I've been at this for a very long time and never found that to be true.

Really dirty barrels need to be scrubbed in my experience at least.

What a great idea.....I'm using my drill from now on too!
I actually do that on my shotgun... I get the plastic residue out of my choke by pulling the choke and hitting it with a drill and brush/solvent... a LOT quicker than ****ing around for a half hour trying to get the last bit of crap from your choke... I wouldn't do it on a rifle... the brush skipping over the rifling wouldn't clean a dang thing... I'm sure you could try it though if you want to...

Recent Posts