Well I just ruined $350 of steel targets...

Velocity combined with bullet composition is the destructive factor. Shooting a .22-.250 at about 3,500 fps with 62 grain (SS109, greenies) penetrator bullets really tears steel up - be careful about stuff flying back. I try real hard to avoid hitting targets at the edge but most of my targets have snaggly edges.

I know it has been a long while since the original post...but why would you continue to shoot the steel targets if it was "damaging " them.

Last edited:
I make plates with 1/2" hardox plate. It is like springy ar450 steel. We build backhoe and dredge buckets with it. Weld the hangers about 1/4 of the way down the back and use strips of tire rubber as straps. Angles down a bit and they are basically indestructible, at least with normal ammo.

The edges of your cut plates are soft, but only for about 1/2" in. You didn't "ruin" them.

I make plates with 1/2" hardox plate. It is like springy ar450 steel. We build backhoe and dredge buckets with it. Weld the hangers about 1/4 of the way down the back and use strips of tire rubber as straps. Angles down a bit and they are basically indestructible, at least with normal ammo.

The edges of your cut plates are soft, but only for about 1/2" in. You didn't "ruin" them.
That's just a result of cutting isn't it?