Accuracy ruined by Cerekoting?

catorres1

I have a new bolt action rifle that I bought that I have intended from the beginning to cerekote. I just wanted to verify that it was accurate enough before investing in the process. It appears to meet my needs, so I went by my local place and talked about the process etc.

They talked about disassembly, going into an oven, grease outgassing from the barrel junction, making sure the face of the bolt, or maybe it was the lugs, are not left coated etc. And I began to wonder if this was a good idea.

Could this process ruin what I already have? Of course, they assure me it won't, but....

I see various manufacturers are cerekoting their stuff....is this done before or after assembly?

Has anyone heard of the process having an adverse effect?

In case you wonder why I am paranoid...had a 270 that was so accurate, I don't usually tell people how accurate it was because I they won't believe me, but my friends all knew this rifle. It was great. But the stock was not on quite straight and every year, it's wood would warp just a little and the POI would keep moving. Finally, I decided to have that barrel channel opened up a bit to 'solve that problem'. Hill Country did it for me and low and behold. It started shooting horribly (relatively speaking).

When I talked to them, they said it was probably pressure bedding diagonally and it shot well that way. They suggested bringing it back and they would figure it out etc. Never did, moved it on down the road. But left me a little paranoid over messing with a good thing.

So I thought I should check before ruining another great shooter
wink.gif

Thanks!

1, had a rifle done 4 years ago. I had found a beginning of rust when disassembled after a very wet hunt. Did the barrel, action, bottom metal, bolt and scope mounts. There was a small amount of splattering in the muzzle which shot out after a few rounds. I noticed no effect on accuracy associated with the Cerakote, the rifle shot as well as before. "This guy is rated tops at Cerakote in this state". Good luck

Thanks for the response! The guys I am planning on using were referred to me by my surgeon. He has all the toys, and keeps getting more, so he can afford to be picky. They are, apparently, the only cerekote trained and certified shop in my area, so it should be good if I go forward on it.

Still doing research on this, so I'll get back if I hear any other thoughts on this.

morning, u must b from the New Braunfels area of TX.

Tell all the hunters u know do not take a firearm to Hill Country Rifle.

Pure Butchers of firearms. rest in case.lightbulbgun)

Well, I got a few more responses, including from John Barsness. Everyone I have talked to agreed that they have seen no adverse affect from cerekoting, so I'll probably go forward with it. Just have to decide between Graphite Black, Tactical Grey, or Sniper Grey.

Thanks!

I have had several rifles Cerekoted over the last few years. I have had two different people do the coating. The only problem I ever had was when the first guy I used coated the bolt body. The bolt was a little sticky for the first 100 rounds. The second guy did the same thing without a problem. This goes back to being careful about who you use. As far as accuracy goes, I have never seen a change. I love Cerekote. It protects your rifle from the weather and if done right looks great.

The guys I checked out told me the bolt would be a bit rougher for the 1st 100 rounds or so and then would smooth out and be very nice.

Don't know if that is par for the course, has something to do with thickness of the coating or just a bad job.

I might have mentioned, can't remember, this referral came from my surgeon, who can afford the best.

But I am meeting with another friend who is a trainer at the PD here as well as on their 3 gun team. I'll see what he recommends too.

I have had my M700 semi custom done in cerakote and a Bushmaster Varmit AR15 done. Both are extremely accurate. If done properly, you should see no negative impact on accuracy. I sent my M700 barrelled action to Red Creek Tactical in UT. It was definately worth the shipping cost. These guys do extremely good work. Check out their web site and call them. They will answer all your questions.
I do not think you want to cerakote the 'business end' of your bolt. There is a coating that is called 'micro slick' which is similar to cerakote, but thinner and has a slick surface that you would be better off using on your bolt instead of the normal cerakote.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.