Oh "bleep" moment plus success also

ss7mm

During slack time between deer and elk season, and in an area where it wouldn't bother any people or game, I did a little "rock killin"

I almost didn't show this one but sooner or later it will happen to just about everyone if you shoot enough.:rolleyes: I remember Shawn saying in his video that he had done it also. This is the second time in all my years of lr stuff that I've done it and this time it's caught on video. Sure glad it was a rock and not a big buck or bull.;) Seems that I had all of the environmental data, put it all into Exbal, set everything up for the shot, had the video going and just forgot to do one thing, dial for the elevation for the 994 yard shot. You can see the trace and the resulting "no hit". There is also a slightly condeming audio comment pertaining to the skill of the shooter.
Video of 994 Oh Bleep Moment - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the same rock only with the yardage properly dialed in. Much different results.
Video of 994 Oh Bleep Moment - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's another one only it's 1047 yards and also with the 7mm Allen Mag and 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT bullets.
Video of 1047 7mm AM - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How about the time I shot over a buck at 550 yards 2 times. Turns out the scope was not turned back to zero from a target session at 900 yards, I was off by one entire revolution.

What camera are you using, Dick?

I have a pre-shot routine and a post-shot routine. One of the pre-shot things is a quick glance at the elevation turret when I also do a quick check of the level. The level was on but the elevation turret escaped my attention.:rolleyes:

Part of my post-shot routine is to always return turrets to zero. Sounds like that one got you.;)

It's a little JVC Everio. 35x Konica/Minolta optical with 800x digital although very much of the digital is a waste as it gets pretty grainy but I have used it up to about 100x or so just playing around. It's a pretty potent package that just about fits in a shirt pocket and rides in a vest pocket just right.

What's the velocity of that 200 grain bullet? Can't help but notice the flight time on the 1047 yard shot is quick! My 308 shoots 180 grain bullets at around 2600 and the flight time to 1k is about 1.75 seconds.

I've loaded them up to about 3400 fps but the load I use that's the most accurate is just under 3200fps.

I'd have to look but I believe it's just barely over 1 second at 1000 yards. They get down range in a hurry and then the neat part is the delay before the sound of the hit gets back. I've had the same delay of sound return from the hit on both deer and elk. It's neat to see the animal get hammered and then hear the smack of the hit.;)

It was windy for both hit shots but the second had winds at about 15-20 mph and the sound of the hit didn't come through like in the first one. The shots were taken in 2 different canyons and wind direction was different in both canyons. The big 200 is great in windy canyon stuff. We were also shooting a 270 AM w/140 Accubonds and the wind moved them around noticeably more than the 200 Wildcats.

Full blown custom 7mm AM by Kirby Allen of APS..........$$$$.$$
Gas to get where the critters are............................... $$$.$$
Video equipment and other "necessary" stuff...............$$$$.$$

Having the "horsepower" to get the bullet there "in a hurry" and
to also hear that smack from way out there..............PRICELESS

Now..........if the furry critters will just cooperate. Elk opens this
Saturday and after elk season I have 2 weeks of a late buck permit
hunt coming up so we'll see what happens.

LOL, dang i been there several times SS7MM!!

i know BJ did the same thing this year in a competition, he says that is the reason he didnt win :rolleyes::rolleyes: lol

i know that is why he is using the zero stop on his competition scope now

you may have missed the rock on the first one, but he didnt last long.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.