ogive measurment

klemm

What is the measurment from the ogive to the base of the cartridge,for 175 grain federal gold metal match. I have 8 boxes and all the cartridges are from 2.80 to 2.809 inches over all length and some of the bullets are getting jammed into the lands and pulling apart if I eject them.

The distance to ogive will vary some as well. I would recommend getting a comparator so you can measure to the ogive and adjust seating depth accordingly.

I have the Hornady kit that attaches to a caliper. Sinclair makes a version as well. Easier for you to go look at then for me to explain :D

I guess a better question is how to use it???
I will search you tube. I bought one of these for my 338 but never measured it as I didn't know how to zero it or how to obtain a measurement that meant anything. I guess I could measure my OAL with this and then load to that same length.

I will look thanks for the info

How to use it? The purpose is to duplicate the seating depth established in the load workups at a later date. You can make a dummy round to reference or remember to save a couple of loaded rounds from last loading session to compare seating depth of the new loads.

Attach the comparator on the fixed jaw of the caliper or if you use the nut place it against the fixed jaw. Then push the bullet into the comparator hole and bring up the movable jaw till the it makes contact with the base of the case. Do some minor wiggling of the case to get as accurate a measurement as possible. I think you will catch on easily. Then it is a matter of adjusting the seating die to seat bullets in the next batch of cartridges to duplicate seating depth.

It will take a few adjustments even with a micrometer topped seating die. If you make several small adjustments with the same cartridge moving towards the correct length, be sure to try some other cases with your usual seating procedure to verify you have duplicated the original seating depth.

If you have more questions just ask

Ross

I guess a better question is how to use it???
I will search you tube. I bought one of these for my 338 but never measured it as I didn't know how to zero it or how to obtain a measurement that meant anything. I guess I could measure my OAL with this and then load to that same length.

I will look thanks for the info

You tube is loaded with all kinds of "how to" videos, this is no exception. Search and decipher which is best for your situation.

For example >>>

I have the LNL and comparator kit from Hornady like on this video >>> [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvsEsaK8-M"]Using The Hornady Overall Length Gauge And Bullet Comparator - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarity!!!!

I'll try it on my next session. So the number will be smaller than the OAL but it should be more precise and reproducible due to the fact I'm measuring off the ogive not the tip. Correct?

The original question was,what is the measurement from the ogive to cartridge base on a factory .308 federal gold metal match 175 grain ammo.does any one know

The original question was,what is the measurement from the ogive to cartridge base on a factory .308 federal gold metal match 175 grain ammo.does any one know

Your original question did not say .308! Nonetheless, you were provided vital means to measure them accurately.

What is the measurment from the ogive to the base of the cartridge,for 175 grain federal gold metal match. I have 8 boxes and all the cartridges are from 2.80 to 2.809 inches over all length and some of the bullets are getting jammed into the lands and pulling apart if I eject them.

Reloading books calls for 2.820" OAL, which yours are under. Knowing the measurement from base to ogive might not help you. I suggest you call the OEM and discuss your issue/concern ...

For your ammo contact ...

Federal Cartridge Company
900 Ehlen Drive, Anoka, MN 55303-7503
1-800-322-2342
Fax: (763) 323-2506

They should also know the measurement you are after.

You might also want to consider having your rifle checked by a qualified smith to make sure it is in safe and working order.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.