ogive confusion...

I wonder if you went up 1 or 2 cal on your seating stem if they would contact the ojive closer to the comaritor and where the lands contact without contacting the meplat. Something to think about.

Hey Joe

I suspect if you did you would have to work on the seating plug so that the tips of the bullets did not hit up inside the plug

Also I wonder if you had a little too much seating force if the plug would "ride up" on the ogive a little

Good idea about drilling the comparator to the exact land size which IIRC would be .008" below caliber. I don't know why Hornady or comparator makers don't do this automatically

Hey Joe

I suspect if you did you would have to work on the seating plug so that the tips of the bullets did not hit up inside the plug

Also I wonder if you had a little too much seating force if the plug would "ride up" on the ogive a little

Good idea about drilling the comparator to the exact land size which IIRC would be .008" below caliber. I don't know why Hornady or comparator makers don't do this automatically
You'd definately have to use a bushing neck die and size the neck as minimal as possible, plus aneal your cases religiously. I just looked at my Redding seater, I'd have order a seater specifically ground to "that" bullet I believe, probably specify where I wanted it to contact the bullet as well.

Hmmmm too much analyzing going I think. After getting the comparator, set the seating die to seat the bullet the correct distance off the lands by measuring the base of the case to the ogive of the bullet. Once that is done, you are done until you change bullet brands or possibly even lots.

For example I have 2 boxes of 100 bullets from the same lot that I will not change my seating die depth on until I change lots or different bullet. I simply measured the bullet ogive to case base using my Hornady OAL guage, subtracted .075, and it gives me a number such as 2.585 - .075 = 2.510 set the die to seat the bullet to 2.510.....done.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Simple steps and end result. Only question is the .075 you subtracted. Is that more than usual? I thought I read somewhere that .025 was the average most people subtract. Just making sure I follow your thought.

Well my particular rifle has a long throat and if I seat the bullets .010 -.050 there really is not enough bullet seated in the case neck to be secure. The bullet is easily knocked off center etc.

OK, so my rifle shoots the berger 140 VLDs just fine with .075 off the lands. It seems like many rifles like that number here as well. Seating depth is a rifle specific thing perhaps. I am not sure. I usually seat my bullets close to the lands but I learned that this rifle does quite well with a jump. When I have time I am going to goof around with seating depth a bit more and then throw in some 210 primers. If I can get this rifle to shoot .25MOA I will be very happy. Right now I am seeing .40MOA and it works fine for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.