Of these straight walled cartridges, what is best out of a 13"-14" bbl?

Winny94

Looking at a new pistol barrel for an encore pistol frame and these are the approved cartridges in my state for deer. If possible, I'm looking for something that will be effective out to 100-125yds.
357 mag
357 max
375 win
38 super
10mm
41 rem mag
41 AE
44 spl
44 rem mag
44 automag
444 marlin
445 super mag
454 casull
45-70
460 rowland
460 s&w
475 linebaugh
480 rugger
50 linebaugh
50 Beau wolf
500 s&w

What would be your first choice based purely on ballistic performance?

To me, it's a tie between the .357 Max, .41 Rem Mag, and .460 S&W...

That would be a tough choice...But i think in a rifle, the .460 S&W would get my vote based on ballistics and velocity being better than the .500 S&W.

Not my cup of tea as the 454 Casull CURED my itch for a BIG handgun. Don't even want to imagine the 460 or 500SW. I don't like quarter sticks of dynamite going off in my hand, call me nutty.
Of your list I would figure the 460 S&W will walk all over the other choices. People say the 460SW in a revolver isn't that bad.....after my Casull experiences....I will 100% take their word for it as there is absolutely no way I am setting of something with more power than the 454 Casull in MY HANDS.
If a grizzly bear was charging me I would just let the darn thing eat me before shooting it with something worse than the Casull. I'm a recoil wimp I guess.

Looking at a new pistol barrel for an encore pistol frame and these are the approved cartridges in my state for deer. If possible, I'm looking for something that will be effective out to 100-125yds.
357 mag
357 max
375 win
38 super
10mm
41 rem mag
41 AE
44 spl
44 rem mag
44 automag
444 marlin
445 super mag
454 casull
45-70
460 rowland
460 s&w
475 linebaugh
480 rugger
50 linebaugh
50 Beau wolf
500 s&w

What would be your first choice based purely on ballistic performance?
My heart belongs to the .41mag it's my all time favorite pistol caliber and I've made some shots with it I'd never even be able to talk about if I hadn't had witnesses with me.

If you barrel can handle the plus p loads the 210 and 230gr JHP's can reach out with authority.

If you plan to load your own the Hornady XTP .41 210gr is a great bullet to look at. I've taken deer and hogs with both the .41 and .44mag's with the xTP's and liked the performance.

The .44mag would be my second choice. When you move up past the 230gr loaded hot it doesn't take too many rounds to do some considerable damage to your wrist if you aren't holding it right and properly braced.

My brother has a .460 that's a lot of fun to shoot for about five rounds and that's about it.

One of my buddies shoots the .475 Linebaugh and let me run a few rounds through it and that was one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. We were shooting tank turtles with it out to 50yds and hitting about 8:10 which is amazing with a handgun.

If you're going to shoot the 45-70 do yourself a favor and pick up an old Marlin lever gun. That's way more recoil than you want in a pistol.

Best of luck.

out of a single shot TC I'd go with either the 44mag or 454 casull. As far as using it on deer, I don't think you'll have any trouble selecting something that'll kill, just a problem with selecting based on personal preference. If you have't shot heavy pistols before, I'd lean away from anything above the 454 as well. It has some punch with heavy loads.

Last edited:
I shoot both the 357 max, and 445 supermag. the 357 is more than enough for deer to 200 yds if you do your part. Same with the 445. Deer will never tell the difference between the 445 and the casull. I have both and they are virtually the same,
both in performance and recoil! Put a brake on the Encore and it tames it right down. Good luck with you search!

SemperFi

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 460 right now as my dad has the xrv so I'd already have access to reloading components.

My question is now how much is velocity affected by bbl length? I don't know where to land in that 9-14" range.

Look at Mike Bellm's site if you want answers about T/C single shots. He has loads of info on them and seems to really like the 357 max. I have used his parts to put together 6 of these guns and the results are very good.

The Great .357 Remington Maximum Revival

Thanks, I'll definitely give him a buzz. I don't see the draw to the 357 max though aside from lower recoil. Its not even in the same class as the 460 sw from all the data I can find.

I have a ruger .44 mag and enjoy it but a close friend has a S&W .460 with a brake. It's a very nice gun. Sure it has a little more recoil but it's definitely not bad. Shooting 5-10 would be no problem at all. Hands down that is what I would get if I was in the market. It's a beast. Not sure about the velocity.

I'd go 45-70 and load according to your desired ballistics or recoil tolerance. I had J D Jones build me a T/C Encore (pistol) in 444. It was wickedly accurate at 200yds but recoil was noticeable. I could have loaded it down a bit but wanted the terminal performance of the full throttle loads.

I have shot deer in OH with the 357 Max, 41 Mag, 375 Win, 414 Super Mag, and 460 S&W all in 10" - 14" barrels. If you are only going 100 - 125 yds I would take a good look at the 357 Max loaded with 180 grain XTPs using a Redding profile crimp die. It's a great cartridge that is easy to shoot and all the deer I have shot with it are just as dead as the ones with the other rounds. You will most likely practice with it more too. If you just want an excuse to buy a fire breather and use it on deer the 460 S&W is a great deer round.

What ever you do buy what is going to make you happy.....or one of each:D

I would also choose the 357 MAX. I have killed deer with no problem to 125 yards with a 10" barrel Contender in 357 mag using the 180 Hornady XTP pushed to 1400 fps with 13.5 grs H110. With the MAX with a 10" barrel you can get 1700 fps and with a 14" barrel 1850 fps on average with 180s. With the 357 Max you will want to shoot more and you can afford to do it. With those fire breathing dragons like the 460 the concussion is AWESOME and will give you the headache in a few shots and you will not want to shoot it much and component prices per round is twice or more of that of the 357 MAX. Starline now makes 357 Max cases so there is once again a good supply. Don't get caught up in the "cool factor" of a romping stomping 460 that most people can't shoot accurately. Get something that you will be able to practice with so you will be able to place that bullet where it needs to go to ethically kill a deer. One other plus for the max is out to your 125 yard want it shoot pretty flat, from muzzle to 125 yards will not be much over 1.5" rise and fall. I almost had my 357 mag barrel punch out to the Max by Mike Bellm but decided to get a 14" barrel from Match Grade Machines in 30-30AI instead. I can use this caliber where I hunt in NC. 125 Ballistic Tip at 2670 fps with sub MOA accuracy SMOKES DEER. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.