Oddball accuracy

yote doctor

Hello. I had a new barrel put on my Savage 10 (McGowen 6mm Creedmoor). Completed proper break-in/cleaning. Have over 70 rounds through it and I'm at a loss.

Using 41.6 grains of h4350 and 105 VLDs, first two shots are same hole, and third shot is off 3/4"- 1" off. I have shot multiple groups like this. I have been reloading for 17 years and I've never experienced this. Factory barrel shot 1/4 moa and now frustration.

Note. I use my gauge to measure length to the lands. Loading rounds all different lengths including "into" the lands. This rifle is in a McMillan HTG stock and is not bedded. Not sure if non bedding is the issue.... Your thoughts?

Thanks
Brian

What is your velocity? Do you know your standard deviation or extreme spreads? Have another shooter shoot the load to see if it's there is a loose nut driving it

I have had the same situation in the past that was cured by bedding the action - certainly worth consideration with the possibility of something to gain and prob nothing to lose except for the cost/time to bed. Good luck.

Velocity has less than 15 FPS variation. Average of 2,995. Groups all measure .7"-.85" center to center. with shots 1 and two same hole, with third low right. I have removed barreled action and torqued screws to spec. Also checked all scope rings, base, rail screws.

I'll try 4831SC and possibly R19.

I may have a loose nut but ability to shoot a rifle is not one of them. Haha

Thanks guys

Without bedding you would think it would shoot just okay. But consistently shooting two on top of each other then one off that far.....? Unless I crumble under pressure when it counts! (100%) of the time!

If all screws check out tight and ok, then I would look at bedding.
You can 'smoke' the action with a candle and check contact points/voids and decide from there whether bedding is necessary.
A barrel that is not stress relieved correctly will 'walk' shots as it warms, bedding and Knox form bedding can help this, as can a pressure point in the forearm of the stock.

I skim bed aluminium bedding blocks just to be safe, it never hurts and always makes the action more stable in the stock.
I find the recoil lug recess on most stocks looser than I like, so I address this first.

Cheers.

try putting some business cards between the front of the stock and barrel-- I have a rem700 mountain that did this and the fix was 3 business cards thick shim--now it shoots about 1/2moa with no walking

cheap to try, if it doesn't work you only messed up a few business cards :rolleyes:

Bed it and see if that helps. If not, your load needs further refinement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.