Objective of LRH and personal preferences

Jim

That's good to know about the orange.

Texas must be the last hold out on that rule.
Orange is required in any other State I have ever hunted. In fact Colorado has a solid Orange rule, NO "camo orange" which is allowed in PA and West Virginia.

Your safety rules are VERY good on your ranchette. Keep up the good rules.

I hate to see hunting accidents at any range a hunter shoots.
Fact remains, NO hunter has EVER been wounded or killed from the shot of a Longrange hunter. Lets hope that record continues.
smile.gif

I personally don't shoot when I see another hunter on the whole mountain I'm looking into. I simply wait (takes all day sometimes) till he leaves and have done so many times.
"No" animal is worth shooting another hunter over.

Darryl Cassel

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

LRH,
As mentioned above whether it be 10yds or 1000yds the basic safety rules and common sense still apply. Let's not over engineer my statements with a bunch of what-ifs. To me they are/should be understood in any form of hunting.

As for the Walmart hunters, that's why we are here. to edumecate
wink.gif
them.

Also I shoot approx (20) 1000yd matches a year and use all forms of spotting scopes and big eyes at each one from Feb-Dec. I've seen the whole rainbow of conditions. Not to many times have I ever felt that I could'nt safely identify details of the surrouding enviroment at 1000yds.

As I said above I apologize for my wrong assumption to begin with. back to the topic at hand.

Steve

This is turning into something that I didn't intend. People, people, don't read so much between the lines. Don't assume that everybody who has a different hunting style then yours doesn't understand, or approve of your hunting style/methods. It appears to me that some of the LRH's have been beat up so much on this topic in the past that they immediately go on the defensive. I should have went with my first instinct and put a disclaimer at the start of this post to keep the defenders of the faith happy. Let me make it clear right now I wouldn't be on this forum if I thought LRH was unsafe, unethical, etc., etc. I'm here to learn the tricks of the trade and will use them myself when I chose.

I originally asked if there were any hunters who shared my personal philosophy of preferring to sneak in close, but be capable of taking longer shots for whatever reason. For me it's all about being the best outdoorsman and rifleman that I can. I never stated that the way others on this board have chosen to hunt is wrong. I agree with all that have stated that each person is free to hunt in the manner they choose. Just because I stated my personal objective is not to always shoot game at the maximum distance possible does not indicate that I believe to do so is wrong.

As far as the safety issue I agree with everything that has been stated so far. If you look at my reply to Steve's question (about the safety aspect of shooting long range at game) you will see that right off the bat I stated that I do NOT think LRH is unsafe. Again, I believe that long range shooting can be done safely in the field. So when I mention that conditions will limit what we can see why do some immediately attack me thinking that I'm saying LRH is unsafe? People you are preaching to the choir. I was merely commenting on what we all know, or at least should know, that there are certain technical complications of using glass at long range. What I said about mirage, light, shadows, affecting vision isn't something that Darryl, Steve, and the other dominant members on this board wouldn't say themselves.

Brent, I'm with you 100 percent. We are all saying the same thing here, you have to be careful and not shoot if you can't see well enough. When I said that you can't see in the shadows I thought it was implied that I was saying don't shoot in those conditions. Only a fool would shoot at the distances we are taking (or any distance) when they can't see the entire area.

Steve, I'm sorry that you think I overengineered your words. However, I think it was an overstatement to say you can see everything with your bigeyes or any other optics. My comments we not directed so much to you but to those who haven't spent much time behind spotting scopes and may not realize the limitations. I was merely mentioning the saftey issues we need to keep in mind. Obviously, when you're sitting there behind the glass it will be immediately apparent whether or not you can see well enough to take the shot. I also want to add that many times you'll be able to see game clearly, but you won't be able to see what's in the shadows nearby. I'm not saying that anybody here would shoot in these conditions. I'm saying this is a hazard that we need to keep in mind. TO ALL: HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE BEEN GLASSING A NICE BUCK IN A SMALL OPENING AND THEN MINUTES LATER WE NOTICE ANOTHER DEER NEARBY THAT WAS IN THE SHADOWS. THE SAME THING CAN HAPPEN WITH HUMANS. OK, once again I was merely pointing out that we ALL need to be careful when shooting long range. BTW: Steve, Thank you for your courteous manner.

Darryl, I'm with you guy. When did I ever say LRH couldn't be done, was unsafe, etc., etc. Please don't assume that I don't know this or that. If your personal goal is to shoot game farther then anybody else that's fine by me. You don't have to defend this method of hunting to me. Go do that over on hunting.com. Peace brother.

338Lapua, you make a good point. Some states don't require orange and some people don't wear orange. Myself, I always wear orange, as I know how difficult it can be to see someone who doesn't.

OK, to summarize this post. People, I'm with you and respect any whose goal it is shoot game at their maximum personal range. Please respect my viewpoints. Again, as I said from the very start I don't think LRH is inherently dangerous.

rolleyes.gif

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]

I think part of the problem of posting on a board that is open to people that are completly new to this is that we tend to want to write as if there is that someone reading that may misunderstand things based on that so we over explain or are overly concerned. The only problem is the person your talking to wonders when you write in this way if you may be implying they were born yesterday, so they respond and the misunderstanding starts.

I wish everone would at least give the other the benifit of the doubt concerning the knowledge needed for these long shots and such, if someone new comes along or someone doesn't quite follow you they will ask questions to catch up and learn. Some will read and misunderstand, or not understand, and if they ask questions, I hope they do not assume the worst every time.

LRH, this is not directed at you, just an observation I'm guilty of as well. Did I make any sense at all?

Hello LRH

Never a problem here at all.

I think most of us "older" LR hunters have been beat up so many times by others that didn't understand what we do that, we get gun shy and defensive to a degree.

I NEVER felt that way with your posts at all.
I was only giving MY feelings and thoughts on the longer shots as you were in getting close to the animal.

No problem what so ever and I agree with your way since I have been there and done that too.

I was only giving another view point to your question. Really didn't know how much LR hunting you had done over the years.

Take care, good hunting and good luck to you regardless of the style of hunting and/or animal you pursue.

later
Darryl Cassel
smile.gif
smile.gif

LRH,
I did wonder about your "status" in your original post the way it was written. Sounds like the classic case of misunderstood postings on the net that Brent eluded to.

Your above post is very clear and to the point. Sounds fair enough to me. thanks for the understanding in return. Yes we're probably a little defensive about the topic. Hope you understand. So to me, it's now water under the bridge and we move on.

My position about moving closer.... I probably lean more toward your side most of the time. When it comes to buck hunting and such I'm prepared for the long shot if needed, but most of the time I'm hunting with my 30-06 in the hemlocks. But being most of my whitetail hunting has been in the the state of PA, when doe season rolls around after archery and buck season, it's time to fill some tags and get the meat in the freezer as Brent stated above (Brent, your not the only one who still likes meat in the freezer. horns or no horns). And this is how I was introduced and got start LR hunting. The area I'm from is rolling farmland, and the deer are pretty broken up by the time doe season rolls around. Plus there are so many deer in PA in my area even today that shooting a doe.... I hate to say it but I could sit on the back porch and shoot all I wanted. So it's not that challenging any more. (just a "for instance" my home county last year issued 15,000 doe tags on top of the standard hunting license that allows you one buck. To simply put it, there a sh!t load of orchard beef walking around in NE PA) So we would setup on top of a hill out in the open (for safety) and watch for feeding or crossing deer in all the pastures around us. So to sum it up in the early season I basically hunt bucks using standard methods, but prepared for the long shot if needed by dropping down on my belly with a bipod if needed. But when doe came around I refer to bring out the big irn on a bench and shoot long.
Now down here in NC it's a little different. We've got a lot of large bean fields in the south eastern corner and large clear cut timer lots, that offer long shooting (0-6 or 700yds) normally. The deer don't seem to present themselves for very long, so you must be prepared to take a shot when it's available whether it's a buck or doe or early or late season. So it's a little different game. So down here I simply adjust my shooting preference to what is available on any given day. Rather than the methods used in PA.

That's and what I do and why.

Steve

Darryl,

Thank you for your kind words.

I also have land in WV. I believe you said you hunt in Roane Co. My place there is only 15-20 minutes from the border of Roane (north side). If you want to LRH in WV let me know, I can plan a trip. We have a meadow about 1500 yards away from the hunting stands, to set up on.

To everyone,

The offer is open to all to hunt in Texas. If you have never had the opportunity, it is one you will always remember. The LRH shooting is approximatyely 800-1000 yards (not real long, but enough to make it challenging with the wind we have). All you have to do is e-mail. I can accomadate up to 4 hunters at a time.

As far as the distance v getting close issue goes. They are both challenging and we should say to each his own on how they want to hunt.

Jim

Darryl
Let me clarify a little how TX law reads. By far TX has the most privately own land in all the states. Though it is not required of you to wear Hunter orange on private land you are required to wear it on public land.

Here is an excerpt from TPWD website.

Texas Blaze Orange Laws
Hunters on Texas Parks and Wildlife public hunting lands must visibly wear a minimum of 400 square inches of Hunter Orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back.

Exception: Persons hunting only the following species are exempt from this requirement;

1.during the archery-only season while hunting deer, javelina, or feral hog,
2.turkey,
3.migratory birds,
4.coyotes or furbearers at night,
5.alligators,
6.desert bighorn sheep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All hunters and persons accompanying a hunter on National Forests and Grasslands, during gun deer season, must wear a minimum of 144 square inches of Hunter Orange visible on both the chest and back plus a Hunter Orange cap or hat.

Exception: When hunting migratory birds.

TXhunter,

Thanks for clarifying my statement. I have lived here since '93 and have yet to hunt on public land. Maybe that's why I didn't pay attention to that. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

It seems like every square acre in Texas has been bought by somebody. All the hunting I did prior to buying my land was all on leased property.

Jim

338Lapua

No problem!

Been hunting since 89 and it's always been on leased land. As a matter of fact we just lost our lease that we've been hunting on for the past 12years. Now we're looking to buy, found 7000+ acres around Pumpville. Bout 2hrs from Del Rio. Looks promising if we can work with the seller a little.

We will see. Maybe set up and ready to go for next season if we're lucky, but I doubt it. In all probability the deal won't go through. But I'm hopefull.

My land is 70 mi east of Del Rio in Rocksprings. A lot of deer, turkey and exotics in that area.

Good luck on the land purchase.

Jim

TX HUNTER the cheapest land is out far west towards LANGTRY AND farther I found 400 acres with a stock tank and a couple of creeks running through it for $275.00 an acre but was a day to late
blush.gif
Someone else had beat me ot it. I'm still looking myself.
.338 laupa if I can't find something before the end of summer I might have to give you a call, right now I'm trying to work something out with my customers that have property in the golden triangle area.

Arizona is another state that does not require you to where orange during rifle season. I lived there for 12 years and hunted deer, elk, and javalina's and I wore the brightest orange outfits I could find (years of training from hunting in Nebraska most of my life). However, my hunting buddies from there(Arizona natives) never put on any orange. I was the only one in the group with orange cloths. My friends used to comment that they could see me five miles away with that orange stuff, I said that's the idea, so you can see me. Don't know if Arizon it is still that way this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.