Newbie wants to start LRH and needs advice

mmh

I am interested in starting up on some long range hunting with my 15 year old son. We have been hunting in PA where a long range shot has been 100 yds. Now, we both have the itch for some LRH this fall. I am posting this so that I can get some advice as to how to get started in this endeavor.

We both are competent with a rifle. My long range gun is a Remington 700 in .308 and a 1:10 twist. I have it in a Manners T6A stock and have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP scope on a 20 MOA base on the rifle. We will work up loads & practice with it this summer. I am thinking that we should get good field accuracy (hold an 8" 5 round group) out to 800 yds. or so, but we will see. A .308 w/ a 180 gr. high BC bullet will be very comfortably supersonic & will have over 800 ft-lb. of energy at that range. I do not have a spotting scope or laser rangefinder, and will have spend some money on these items (which I really need to get anyway). I figure we could both use the same rifle during the hunt as one will shoot while the other spots & then switch.

I don't think that we will be successful without a guide (seeing that I do not know much about hunting outside of hunting deer in the tight woods in western PA). I am trying to determine what I need to be doing now to get set up for the trip this fall. I have not thought much about what game or where, but it seems that Wyoming is a popular destination & Elk tags are generally available. One concern is cost and the other is timing. By the time I get everything figured out, I am concerned that it will be too late to get tags & schedule a guide/outfitter. The other is cost. As much as I want to do this, I will not be able to afford $10K for a trip for my son & myself.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback as to what is possible, what needs to be done when and what the approximate cost would be. Also, any advice on how to minimize the cost would be appreciated.

It seems from here you might be taking to big of a first bite. A quality guided bull elk hunt for 2 will put a big dent in $10,000.

There are some guided cow elk hunts, that might work.

Antelope in my mind make a better first non-resident hunt. Guided can open up some private land areas, that greatly improve your odds.

If it's an area that multiple doe tags can be had, you'll learn a great deal about LRH in a short period of time.

Agreed. Antelope and deer are far more realistic with that budget.

Another to consider is Texas for Deer hunts and hog hunts both of which can be done reasonably well below that figure.

A good range finder is the essential missing element for success in this equation as far as equipment goes.

Back on the Elk hunts though the .308win is underpowered for Elk beyond about 600yds. If you want to step up to Elk Hunting I'd say you really need to move up to at least the 300wsm or 300wm or at least the 7mm Magnums of some sort.

MM- aren't there elk in Pa?? i heard some big ones have been taken also in Kentucky, both much closer to home and less$$?? i have shot 8 and guided others to 40+ elk. killed my last 6x6 at 26 yards with a 30-06. that said, if i was going to another western state or any where the ranges could be long i would take a sendero in 300 win mag. cheapest i would say is antelope -wyo. for a go at long range.

MM- aren't there elk in Pa?? i heard some big ones have been taken also in Kentucky, both much closer to home and less$$?? i have shot 8 and guided others to 40+ elk. killed my last 6x6 at 26 yards with a 30-06. that said, if i was going to another western state or any where the ranges could be long i would take a sendero in 300 win mag. cheapest i would say is antelope -wyo. for a go at long range.
Most of what I have seen in PA is hunting 'farm raised' elk out of tree stands. You pay based on the size of the trophy. It gets expensive fast.

Agreed. Antelope and deer are far more realistic with that budget...
I was not 'locked' in on elk. Antelope & mule deer may be a much better way to start. Looking for an good LRH father/son experaece that I will be able to afford. Will keep researching, but any advice from the forum sill be greatly appreciated.

I was not 'locked' in on elk. Antelope & mule deer may be a much better way to start. Looking for an good LRH father/son experaece that I will be able to afford. Will keep researching, but any advice from the forum sill be greatly appreciated.
That's ok, I wasn't assuming you were locked on elk hunting, just pointing out the economics of it vs your budget. It's awfully hard to find a good guided elk hunt with a high chance of success for under 5k each, and DIY elk hunting with no experience on public land will have a very low percentage chance of success.

Deer and hogs are plentiful in Texas as are big wheat fields so there's lots of long range opportunities here that can be had for considerably less than elk hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.