NZ Long Range Sika Hunting

NZ Longranger

Finally found time to post up another long-range hunting trip, this time to a remote area in the Kaweka mountains in the North Island. The boys and I do a trip in here every year at the end of their summer school holidays. In this area there are too many sika deer for the habitat and a government body called the Department of Conservation (or DoC for short) fly around in a helicopter shooting them and leaving them to rot. When we go into this area, we try and shoot as many hinds (does) as we can and recover all the meat. We don't shoot stags this time of year as they are still in soft velvet and shooting hinds is a more effective way of controlling the population. Unfortunately, DoC shoots everything they see, stags and all!
This area is covered in dense beech forest but there are little clearings here and there and this is where the best feed is. Over the years we have found some good lookouts that give us a helicopter's eye view into these areas, but the range is always long.
This year we had along Jamie's new 7mm Fatso, Willie's 25/284 and a couple of my 7mm/404's, a light one and a heavier one.
The weather was generally fairly kind to us with not too much wind but some rain and low cloud which made visibility difficult at times. We had one frustrating day when the cloud kept coming and going giving you tantalising glimpses of deer and then obscuring them before you could fire a shot.
Jamie topped his previous best with the 7mm Fatso shooting 162gn A-Max's, with deer at 706, 760 and 800 yards. The longest and only shot I fired for the trip was at 1001 yards with the 180 grain Berger in the 7mm/404 and I was pleased to hit right where I aimed, right in the crease. The dog tracked her for about 15 yards before finding her dead.
The 25/284 accounted for the most deer as usual, ranging from 490 out to 615 yards. This little rifle shooting the 115 grain Berger never fails to amaze me just how capable it is.
After five days of hunting, we flew out by helicopter with enough venison to fill a medium-sized freezer, and a very good time was had by all!

Sunset on the main Kaweka range
IMG_6712.jpg

The DoC search and destroy helicopter, shooting deer around us. At least the deer we shot weren't wasted!
IMG_6814.jpg

Jamie lined up with the 7mm Fatso at 760 yards
IMG_6790.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

The only time I got behind a rifle on the trip, one shot at 1001 yards, right on the money
IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

The 25/284 in action at 560 yards
IMG_6721.jpg

And the result, Willie with two for two shots
IMG_6784.jpg

A sika encountered while dropping down to recover Willie's deer but we had no gun, only a camera, and only 15 yards away!
IMG_6778-1.jpg

Willie's mate Tom with his personal best, 748 yards and was he pleased!
IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

S8000107.jpg

The new record for the 7mm Fatso, Jamie at 800 yards on a day when the cloud came and went.
IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6827.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

NZ longranger ,

As usual great story and pictures -thanks a lot.

That is some great shooting and fine rifles. -Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Will you adopt me, so I can go next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great story and awesome pictures! Wonderful country you've got. Really enjoyed them, tks again.

That's mighty steep country out there NZ and thick too. As usual excellent story and photos. New Zealand is one of the country I plan to visit, or hopefully hunt someday. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Kiwi !!

Some awsome shooting there mate !!

I would be interested in your thoughts for rifle calibre for shooting 600 lbs sambar deer in the exact circumstances you have described. I thought of 338/408 snipe tac with 5-22 nxs. If you have any thoughts I'd sure appreciate it. This type of stuff is new out here but I've been shooting these big deer to around 600 yards with 300 weatherby and 4-14 vx3. Now looking for a legitimate 1000 yard contender for these big moose.

Cheers

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Guys It looks like you have fun when you go hunting .

What season is it over fall, winter or spring ?

What kind of rifles are you shoot?

on some of rifles it looks like an muzle brake they look larger then the Barrel an about 10 in long an they are blake ?
Is it used as an Brake ?

Redbone

NZ

Thankyou very much for posting. I find your articles very enjoyable indeed.

It looks great fun.

NZ

One question. I notice you have a spotting scope and it looks like you work in pairs to I presume enable you to pinpoint the animal afterwards.

What I am interested in is this - what make and magnification of spotting scope do you use?

many thanks

Jon

Glad you enjoyed it guys, that hunt was so much fun!
Down Under, I'd say one of the 338's based on the Cheytac would be the ultimate for your purposes, either Kirby's 338 AM or Dave's SnipeTac. I have a couple of these on the go with Kirby at the moment!
RedBone, this hunt was in late summer, but we hunt all year round. That is a supressor on the end of the barrel, reduces noise and recoil significantly.
Jon2, yea, longrange hunting is definitely a 2 man deal. With a heavy rifle and a good brake/supressor, you can settle the gun and spot your own shots, but a seperate spotter is better and more reliable. He'll usually have a bigger feild of view and should be able to see the bullet trail in the air. I use a 20-60x80mm angled eyepiece Swarovski spotter and it is excellent. A good solid tripod is essential too, I use carbon fibre models by Slik, lightweight and extremely rigid.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.