NSX vs. Mark 6

Michigan Chris

Hello, first off I have to thank both Night Force and Leupold for providing me with the opportunity to be eligible for a program to purchase optics. I have decided to invest in "higher end" scope in the range of $1500.00 and am fortunate enough to zero in on two in particular scopes that are both within $50.00 cost to me. #1 Nighforce NSX 2.5-10 x 42 withal the bells and the Mark 6 "non illuminated". The scope is going on a custom rig , 6.5 creedmoore mostly used for hunting whitetail, yotes, anything Michigan, steel on the farm to 800 yrds a few times a year. Looking to keep weight somewhat down & I am currently running a Vortex SFP PST, I have looked through the nightforce but have no knowledge of the Mark 6? Is the Mark 6 more of a scope that I can dismiss "NO ILLUMINATION" for the same price point of the NSX? Or is there a scope that I am missing? have considered the VX6?

Best Regards

I would look more at the 3.5-15 nsx then the 2.5-10. So comparing the 3.5-15 to the 3-18 mark 6 you just have to balance what you want. If weight is a high factor it looks like the mark 6 is 7oz lighter with more mag. With that said though I've had 2 nightforce nxs and I love them, if it came down to 50$ between an nxs and a different scope Id chose the nxs everytime. They have been completely dependable for me. The illuminated reticle isn't a big factor to be honest I've never actually even turned one whIle shooting.

Thank you Sir, I wil be re-loading also so my dope wil change, my only hesitation about the 3.5 -15 NSX is the size and weight? maybe im being a baby? Herd the 2.5 1 10 x 42 will do it all to 600 or so? So it would be the 2.5-10x42 vs Mark 6 3-18, 44.

thanks again

Thank you Sir, I wil be re-loading also so my dope wil change, my only hesitation about the 3.5 -15 NSX is the size and weight? maybe im being a baby? Herd the 2.5 1 10 x 42 will do it all to 600 or so? So it would be the 2.5-10x42 vs Mark 6 3-18, 44.

thanks again

A couple years ago I went to another state to hunt. I am old so don't want any more weight than absolutely necessary. I glassed up some antlers with 8oX binocs out in the flats. I sat down and put my Swarovski 5-25X52 on it. I could not verify it was a three point until I turned it all the way to 25X.

What I am saying is the 15X will do more,a lot more, than the 10X if you don't want to pack a spotting scope.

I am hoping the NSX 3.5-15 is the ticket as I just out the check in the mail on one from a fellow LRH member today. I am getting the NPR-1. I was not concerned about the weight, just the reliability and for that I would take NF over the Mark 6 any day. I have broken 2 out of 5 leupolds that I have owned and I dont really hunt hard. All of the 5 I owned were VX III's though. I have not read a lot of positive comments about leupolds tracking record and you are hard pressed to find a NF that doesnt track. To me, the reliability of the optic was more important than weight or glass.

My NF 2.5-10x42 is the scope I go to for most of my hunting on several rifles of various calibers.

Super tough and plenty of magnification to get it done on both my Creed and Swede to the distances I'll take the critters you describe. (I'm kind of a 6.5 fanatic!)

I usually use more magnification at the range for longer targets, but I have and do practice with the 10x scopes out to 1000. While not optimal, I'll not be shooting game animals at that distance, but it is fun to train with what you'll use in the field beyond your expectations.

Makes the shots more likely to be taken on game more of a chip shot.

My experience with the NF line of NSX scopes includes the 2.5-10x32, 2,5-10x42, 3-15 F1 and 5.5-22. Also have the ATACR 4-16x42. Love them all.

NF models have all proven tough as nails, great glass and I really like illumination on a hard core hunting rig.

I'm setting up a longer range hunting rig in 6.5 SAUM and that will wear the ATACR 4-16. The way we hunt, weight can be a factor on long stalks, but I've taken about 60 pounds off my body recently so an extra 10 ounces of scope really is a non factor.

I can't speak to the VX-6, however I really can highly recommend the NF line across the board.

See if you can find a shop that has both and compare them side by side.

Good luck with your choices.

The way we hunt, weight can be a factor on long stalks, but I've taken about 60 pounds off my body recently so an extra 10 ounces of scope really is a non factor.

Congrats on the weight loss. At my age any additional wieght is too much! I have been searching for a quality lighter scope. I am going with a Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16X for my new build.

Thanks guys, I am going to go with NF but stuck between the two ? 2.5 X 10 or 3.5 x 15. i love the extra mag but its a tank! Guess Ill be humping to the scope store and doing some hands on!

Thanks - be safe

I went with the 2.5-10 NXS for the same reason - wanted something a little smaller. If you run it for a while and decide it's not enough, you should get most of your investment back at $1,500 should you decide to sell it.

Not to throw a wrench in your plan, but bushnell has a pretty good MIL/LEO plan as well. for a hunting rifle, check out their LRHS series. it comes in 4.5-18 and 3-12 models. Really nice scopes.

I'm a big fan of the NF 2.5-10 x 32 & x42.

Both are great glass for hunting rig. At 19-20 oz, they won't weigh you down much. I've used them a LOT on the range and in the field.

Pretty much my go to choice for my hunting applications. Bullet proof, great glass and CS if needed is top notch.

I don;t work for them. Their scopes just work for me!!

WRENCH! Your Killin me! Would you run the NF 2.5-10x42 or do the Bushy?? Cant say I know the first thing about Bushies only that GA is pushing them? Still seems that everybody, "most" fall back to NF? Maybe its me talking myself into one?

Thanks again -

WRENCH! Your Killin me! Would you run the NF 2.5-10x42 or do the Bushy?? Cant say I know the first thing about Bushies only that GA is pushing them? Still seems that everybody, "most" fall back to NF? Maybe its me talking myself into one?

Thanks again -

I chose both.. ha. I actually have one of each; 2.5-10 NXS and 4.5-18 LRHS (soon to have a 3-12 LRHS as well). I don't think you can go wrong with either. from everything I've read, optically, they are very similar. The elevation turret is slightly better on my NXS than the LRHS, but they are very close. I think the LRHS is an amazing value given the features and price. reviews have been very very positive.

You need to prioritize your wants/needs. The LRHS is a first focal plane scope; some say that is a pro, others think it's a con. Do you want FFP or SFP? The NXS is SFP. Are you planning on running MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA? If you're an MOA guy, the 3-12 LRHS only comes in MIL/MIL turret/reticle configuration now (although there are rumors of an MOA version coming out). Which scope offers a reticle you like more? If weight is your #1 priority, the NXS wins (LRHS are around 25-27 oz.). Do you need illumination? LRHS does not have illum, NXS does. Do you want/need an exposed windage turret (do you hold for wind or dial your correction)? LRHS is capped, NXS is exposed. The 4.5-18 LRHS isn't exactly a small scope; it's over 2" longer than the NXS and 7 oz heavier. Both have zero stop and the LRHS has 24 MOA per rev vs. the 20 of the NXS. with a 6.5 creed, 24 MOA gets you to 1k on a single rev, but since both have zero-stop, I think that is a non-issue.
You mentioned target shooting; will this be in the summer? Mirage can be an issue when shooting during hot months and FFP is nice if you need to turn down the magnification and still want to use the reticle for wind holds. On the other hand, the NXS tops out at 10x, so mirage shouldn't be a show stopper at that magnification. The street price on the LRHS is $800-$1,000 (used) to $1,100-$1,400 new and even cheaper with a MIL/LEO program, so it'll be cheaper than the NXS.

you've got 2 really good options here, just prioritize the differences for your needs and pick one. As others have mentioned, I would avoid the Leupy M6 at this time. while Leupold's CS is second to none, I've read of too many tracking issues on the 3-18.

One last thing.. Bushy offers a 1 year 'like it or return it' policy. so you can basically run it for a year, and for whatever reason decide it's not for you, they will refund your money - no questions asked.

I would look more at the 3.5-15 nsx then the 2.5-10. So comparing the 3.5-15 to the 3-18 mark 6 you just have to balance what you want. If weight is a high factor it looks like the mark 6 is 7oz lighter with more mag. With that said though I've had 2 nightforce nxs and I love them, if it came down to 50$ between an nxs and a different scope Id chose the nxs everytime. They have been completely dependable for me. The illuminated reticle isn't a big factor to be honest I've never actually even turned one whIle shooting.

Absolutely.

Just a quick caveat here, over on a site that has the word "hide" in it they have tested the tracking on several different scopes. While I am NOT a fan of a bunch of the people there, the actual testing done was pretty good. Long story short, the NSX scopes track very well and the Mark 6 scopes they tested simply did not. They were repeatable, but the measurements did not pan out, they were all off a bit. If you are not a dialer then maybe not a big deal, but for what you pay for one I would not find it acceptable. And not trying to bash on the Mark 6 for those who have one, this is just the findings by a person over there who does not have a horse in the race, he was simply testing them...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.