Swavorskie vs Night Force NSX

I have had the Swarovski and own 2 of the NXS, the glass on the latter (IMO) isnt as good as the Swarovski, however the rest of the scope I prefer. They just seem more robust and are better value for your cash. The NPR2 is a fine reticle for varmints where as with the Swarovski you are limited to whats on offer.

Having had the NXS's for some time I think that they are great value and are hard to beat for that reason I would buy another. You wouldnt find an S&B for the same money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Iron Worker, I own three Nightforce NXS scopes. I have looked through both Swavorski and Nightforce, at the same time, to see if the class in Swavorski is better than the Nightforce. My honest opinion, I really did not see a huge difference, they both have awesome class. I've always heard Swarvoski has better glass than Nightforce, I am not sold. Remeber, this is my opinion. I will say this, Nightforce NXS scopes overall, are a much better scope, that's why I own three. Do yourself a huge favor, buy the Nightforce NXS scope, and I promise you will be happy.

Wildcat

A couple years ago one of my friends talked me in to dialing in 2 of his father's rifles they both had Swavorskie eeerrr Swarovski scopes. after spending time with them doing load developement and shooting at different distances I found that neither scope tracked true going from 100yds to 1000yds and back and the reticles (not sure of there proper designation ) SUCK.
I own 2 Swarovski binos the 10x42 EL's and the 15x56 SLC's you could not convince me that they are not the best bino's made they also make a top notch spotting scope, but for some reason there rifle scopes leave a lot to be desired.
the Night Force is awesome but a Leupold 6.5x20 LR or 8.5x25 LR is in the same league for half the money. IMO
UB

Never owned a Swarovski 6-24, but I did own one of their 30mm tubed 3-12x50 scopes....if ever that rifle took a bump, it needed re-zeroing. Came not to trust it.

A pal has the 6-24...I never took much interest in it because I'm a bit sniffy about 2nd focal plain scopes; but I was struck by how user 'unfriendly' it was to have the parallax adjustment on the objective rather than as a side turret.

...I'd go along with Uncle B's comments comparing Swarovski's binos to their scopes.

Played with another pal's 5-15x56 (or thereabouts!) Nightforce. It struck me as being as bright as my 4-16x50 Schmidt but with a much narrower FOV (as well as being damned with being 2nd focal plain too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) .

[ QUOTE ]
the Night Force is awesome but a Leupold 6.5x20 LR or 8.5x25 LR is in the same league for half the money. IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the IMO after this. I'm trying to be a smarta$$ or start a Leupy bashing session but there really is no comparison. I used to be one of the biggest Leupy groupies around, until I got a NF.

Are the Leupies a good scope?? Without question. I don't think you'll find a better scope for the money. I'd go w/them over the Swaro.

Are the NF better than both for what we do?? Without question. Better reticles. Better turrets. I think the glass on the Leupy and NF are about the same. The Swaro may have better glass than both, but they just don't make anything that is condusive to how I use a scope.

All just IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I would have to agree with Bill, Nightforce scopes are much better than Leupold. Leupold is a great scope too, but they do not come close to Nightforce Quality.

Wildcat

Daaaaannng ! this is hard !!

I have been putting this off . However , with the current crop of posts I am forced to respond .............................much as I hate to . So , here goes .....

In 1972 I bought the most exciting , beautifully made and clearest scope I had ever looked through . It was expensive , its name was Leupold . A 3.5x10 AO that I had mounted on my also new Sako Browning 243 safari grade rifle , Was I wealthy ? no . just very good taste , therefore no money .

From that time on I was a dyed in the wool Leupold enthusiast, all else was second rate .

Last year I was reading posts by Jerry Teo about the Nikon 4.5x14sf . So I went and looked at one , amazing , and at the time they were around 279 or so dollars . I told my oldest son he should try one ( being the good son that he is he did ) and was amazed ! Brighter ! a lot brighter in the same lighting conditions.( I know , that is a Nikon ! , what about the Nighttforce ? )

I am getting there , be patient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I pointed out the Nikon experience to begin to show that the " times . they are a changing "

I went to the range a few weeks ago to shoot my friends rifle while he was gone on a bowhunt for elk in New Mexico . His scope is a NXS 5.5 x22x56. I shot a 20 round ladder with it . I then proceeded to pick up my rifle with a Leupold MK 4 8.5x 25 x50 to validate some loads I had developed in the past but was going to a different lot of powder .

Who turned out the lights !! I mean it ! no kidding , no exaggeration , .

Not only was I fightng to get my eye relief correct ( the NF blows the Leupy away in this categorie ) I was also wondering if there was a solar eclipse.

Once again , I am not exaggerating . My eyes are older than many of yours but in that vein it means that I am more aware of available light than others may be .

All that being said (( Goodgrouper , I'm sorry , but it is the truth so help me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) All that being said I think the Leupold reticle ( tmr ) and the Leupold styling is much better than Nightforce . But when I can put my eye to scope and it is " THERE " that is hard to beat .

I was not happy when I left the range that day, I had a good shoot , but was sad for the passing of my favorite scope for 35 years .

Many of you will not be able to appreciate the difference because your eyes are so good . Like you GG , and others I'm sure . For you older farts the 56 mm( and yes , I am aware of the inequities of comparing a 50 mm to a 56 , but hey ! Leupold doesn't offer a 56 )makes a big difference, if you don't believe it just ask Buffalobob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well , it's off my chest now I really hated doing it but ..................Bill , can you make me a good deal on a 8x32x56 NXS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifYou have my email .

Jim B

I carry only 2 brands of scopes in the shop Nightforce and Leupold. I have tried most others at some point or another. For the application of the members of this sight I believe the NF is the best, period. I start alot of people out on the Leupold to get their project on budget but tell them they will be back if they ever shoot a NF. Then they come to my LRH class and 80-90% are back to get the NF. I just haven't seen a better scope for LRH work then the NF.

I have looked through most of them and the Swaro glass is good but no enough to vaildate the cost, Ziess is better !! and I have never compaired the NXS to the Swaro at the same time I think that the NXS is better and Leupold is not in the same class.
If funds were no object I'd get a S&B or US Optics.

Shawn,

Didn't you win a US Optics scope a couple of years ago? How did it compare to the Nightforce?

I had the opportunity to check out the new S&B that the Marines are using. I'll have to say it was a very nice scope, but the price was just out of this world! My Nightforce works just fine and I could have 3 of them for the price of an S&B.

Devin

I did win one a couple of years ago and sold it. Not much to say about it, I couldn't tell a difference between my 3.5-15 NXS and the USO looking through them. I really just didn't see that it offered anything over the NXS. I sold it and bought 2 NXS's.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts