Leupold Mark 6 3-18 vs Vortex Razor Gen 2

specter29

Hey guys looking for advice between these two scopes the Leupold Mark 6 3-18 and the Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18. I would like to know differences. Primarily glass quality.

I know the vortex weighs more but is there any other differences that stand out?

There is no comparison in glass quality IMHO. The Gen II razor is leaps and bounds above the mark 6. I've owned both and hated the MK6. Was the most infuriating scope i've ever owned. Glass was subpar for the price, clicks were mushy as hell (M5B2 knobs), tracking was 2/10ths off at 10 mil, and the eyebox was to date the most sensitive i've ever been behind. Supposedly they've fixed a lot of these issues with the Mark 5 which i'm eagerly awaiting reviews for.

The only real downside to the Gen II is the weight. It's glass is far superior in terms of resolution, CA control, and low light to the Mark 6. They're just a total pig of an optic. If you're looking at retail i'd just jump to the AMG or wait and see how the Mark 5s pan out.

Between the two your comparing Apples to Oranges . I have the Leupold VX-6 3x18x50mm its has good glass,but its not a tactical scope,its SFP hunting scope. The Razor is a FFP Tactical scope and its glass is better .

Between the two your comparing Apples to Oranges . I have the Leupold VX-6 3x18x50mm its has good glass,but its not a tactical scope,its SFP hunting scope. The Razor is a FFP Tactical scope and its glass is better .
The mark 6 isn't the VX6. While i agree it's apples to organges in the sense the gen II razor is better theyre both ffp Mil/Mil with zero stop and 34mm tubes. One is a short and compact scope with okay glass, a sensitive eyebox, and a pretty spotty record of tracking. The other is a 48oz pig with much better glass, eyebox, and a great record of tracking well.

I was never impressed with Leupold. However this VX-6 has good glass,(but my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm is a little bit better ) but you say there are tracking problems ?That concerns me .I'll keep that in mind in the PD fields come this late spring.

What I'm really looking for is a scope that has zero stop, Illuminated FFP reticle, windage lock or capped, is under 30 ounces. and power range of 2.5 to 3.5 on bottom end and 15 to 18 power on top end any recommendations?

Last edited:
What I'm really looking for is a scope that has zero stop, Illuminated FFP reticle, windage lock or capped, is under 30 ounces. and power range of 2.5 to 3.5 on bottom end and 15 to 18 power on top end any recommendations?

The only scope that remotely comes close to that in the price range is the LRHS or the Mark 5HD. The Mark 5HD is still new so there's no word on how the glass is, if it tracks, or if the eyebox is as miserable as the mark 6. Thus far all first impressions are very positive. I'm seriously wanting to go ahead and jump on a mark 5 5-25

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.