Vortex Razor HD G2 VS. Leupold Mark 5 HD

quigley257

Greetings trigger squeezers! I'm looking at getting a new scope for an ELR build. As the thread title says, I'm considering the Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27x56 with the EBR-7C reticle as well as the Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 with CCH reticle. I'm aware that it may be apples to oranges with the difference in magnification. Also aware that the Mark 5 can be had in a 5-25x56 version. The reason I have picked these two is a matter of economy. I have used other brands like Kahles and Nightforce, but my available pricing/discount on the others dictate my choice. I'd like to hear opinions on the Vortex versus the Leupold from users of both models and especially from someone who has experience with both. Is there any disadvantage to going with the 7-35 in the Leupold versus the 5-25 model? This will be exclusively used for ELR shooting and not hunting. As far as reticles go, what are your thoughts on the two that I listed? I have used the EBR-2C in other Vortex scopes with good success. I have also used the Leupold TMR reticle and had no problems with it but feel the CCH would be more useful for holdover and windage when not dialing. Thanks for your time and contributions!! -Quigley

I can't help with that exact comparison, but since nobody else is responding, I've had the 3.6-18 Mk5 as well as a couple of Gen 2 Razors. The Mk5 has great turrets with numerical references for multiple rev's as well as rev indicators, which I liked. The adjustments were audible and tactile. I had mine on a tracking board and it tracking 100%. The parallax was relatively finicky, and the depth of field was fairly shallow. The eyebox was also relatively tight. The glass was surprisingly bright on the Mk5, but I did notice some edge distortion on my sample.

The Gen 2 Razors are heavy. The turrets are audible, tactile, have a rev indicator but only numerical reference for the first rev. They both tracked correctly. The eyebox is forgiving as is the parallax. The field of view is also better with the G2R.

For me, if weight isn't an issue, I'd go with the gen 2 razor. The Mk5 is a great scope as well, and a lot of it boils down to personal preference.

Thanks Tangent. That's a great response and the kind of info I'm looking for. Weight definitely is not a factor as it will be going on an ELR steel ringer to be shot from a bench. I would like to hear from someone who has used the 7-35 in real world applications and what they thought of the MK5 cranked up to the highest powers.

Thanks Tangent. That's a great response and the kind of info I'm looking for. Weight definitely is not a factor as it will be going on an ELR steel ringer to be shot from a bench. I would like to hear from someone who has used the 7-35 in real world applications and what they thought of the MK5 cranked up to the highest powers.
Atacr 7-35x56 is superior to the mk5hd in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.