Not a long range question about the AMAX

Good

Well, does anyone know the terminal ballistics of the AMAX from 0-200 yards? Most of my shots are relatively close, but I like the long range advantages of the AMAX if the opportunity presents itself, plus the cost is great vs. other brands.

I've been shooting the 208g at paper with great success from the 30-06, but am switching to the 7RM until the 30-06 gets re-barelled. So, anyone know about how the 162 performs on game from 0-200yds from a MV of around 3k+ fps?

Thanks Z, anyone else have an opinion here? I'm gatting ready for load workup and want to start with the best bullet for my application. I'm attracted to the AMAX for its claimed terminal ballistics at long range, but don't want it to fail at close range.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks.

Not sure what animals you are shooting but out to 200 yards it is going to be hard to not have enough performance to kill about anything that walks.

If you are really concerned I would suggest you find another bullet that shoots relatively close to the A-max as far as POI and just use it for the close range stuff. I have done this on a couple rifles and it works well. I can usually get very close to the same POI with either the Hornady Interbond, STS, or Interlock BTSP. The interlock BTSP is a very underrated bullet and performs very well on game. Its drawback is it BC but that would be a non-issue for your use. Plus they are priced very well compared to other options.

Scot E.

I've punched deer at 40 yards with the 162AM started at 3105fps from my 7WSM, and the bullet went in the shoulder, made soup of the lungs, and left a 1.5" diameter exit hole in the offside shoulder. Worked great! Very little blood-shot meat.

Having said that, I usually carry the rifle with the 140gr TTSX at 3300fps in the spout and magazine, in case quick, snap shots are required. And if a long shot presents itself, I have time to unload the TTSX and load up the A-Max. Both shoot to the same POI at 200 yards.

Good.....a young friend of mine just shot a bear with his .280 Sherman using a 162 A-max. It was a little farther than you asked about (310 yards) but it performed quite well. He shot it twice, one bullet came apart and the other retained 65 grains. Both reached the hide on the opposite side and the bear went down the first shot. The second one was to keep him there:D! He said the lungs were jello. I have been thinking about the A-Max in my 6.5 Sherman so was glad to get some real world results. I have done some media testing with a lot of bullets and thought the A-max would be a good choice. I would just say to use it like a thin skinned bullet at closer range........Rich

Based on my experiences with a 168 A-max and a 308 win, anything 400 yards and closer is too much terminal velocity for it. ive shot rock chucks and coyotes in and around 200 yrds with v-max outcomes. I recommend what others hv said and carry a "hardier" pill for closer shots. Now having said that- the long range hunting performance is amazing! Especially for a 308 win. My load pushes a 168 at 2700fps, and because of its thin jacket and soft lead, expansion is beautiful at a half mile. Shot a mule deer at 650yrds breaking both shoulders and leaving pieces of copper just under the hide, a head shot antelope doe at 710 yrds with a soft ball size exit at the neck junction, and a cow elk at 775 yrds plowing through one shoulder with huge damage to upper lungs. every bullet is designed with a particular velocity range for optimal performance. some bullets' characteristics are stumbled upon like the a-max and berger vld's in that that were designed specifically for punching paper rather than tissue hydrolics and such. bottom line- experiment and see what favors your app the best, maybe taylor a low velocity load to mimic 600 yrd operating speeds. hope that helps some.

the long range hunting performance is amazing! Especially for a 308 win. My load pushes a 168 at 2700fps, and because of its thin jacket and soft lead, expansion is beautiful at a half mile. Shot a mule deer at 650yrds breaking both shoulders and leaving pieces of copper just under the hide, a cow elk at 775 yrds plowing through one shoulder with huge damage to upper lungs. every bullet is designed with a particular velocity range for optimal performance.
hope that helps some.
May I ask what would be the effective impact velocity range for AMAX for proper expansion? ie 2500fps-1600fps? Then I can figure on suitable bullet weight and range (distance).

Last edited:
May I ask what would be the effective impact velocity range for AMAX for proper expansion? ie 2500fps-1600fps? Then I can figure on suitable bullet weight and range (distance).
I'm wondering the same things. I picked the AMAX due to it's claimed terminal ballistics at longer ranges (slower speeds) but I haven't been able to come up with much substantive in my limited searching. I was hoping someone could provide this info. Maybe this weekend I'll get some computer time.

gun)

I haven't shot a deer with it yet, but I did stick one from my 7WSM into jugs at 25 yards doing 3075 at the muzzle, went three jugs. Wasn't alot left, but there is no doubt it would hammer deer..

I shot a deer broadside through the shoulders at about 40 yards with the 162gr A-Max, also from my 7WSM, going 3105fps at the muzzle. The bullet left a 1-1.5" exit hole, and made mush out of the insides. There was very little, if any, meat damage to the shoulders.

I haven't had the opportunity to do any substantive amount of testing to find the minimum impact speed, but I've seen reports from guys that have used the bullet a bunch in New Zealand, saying that it'll expand well down to around 1600fps if you hit some bone.

I would bet down to 1500-1600 based on how my bullets perform. The Hornadys will expand lower than a Berger because of the tip......Rich

I would bet down to 1500-1600 based on how my bullets perform. The Hornadys will expand lower than a Berger because of the tip......Rich
Thanks elkaholic. Would you then consider 7mm 162gr AMAX adequate for elk at 1642fps and 970 ft.lb, if the bullet is place precisely behind the shoulder? I'm a <350 yds hunter, and would like to progress beyond further range.

Thanks elkaholic. Would you then consider 7mm 162gr AMAX adequate for elk at 1642fps and 970 ft.lb, if the bullet is place precisely behind the shoulder? I'm a <350 yds hunter, and would like to progress beyond further range.

Yes, or better yet, in the shoulder at that velocity. The bullet will penetrate the shoulder better at that velocitythan it might at 3000, and the greater resistance will cause expansion better than the ribcage.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.