Long Range question

Alucard

Hey guys. I have a question about long range shots. If your rifle and load can shoot .5" groups at 100 yards, all things being equal, could the same load and rifle shoot 5" groups at 1000 yards? Providing you have the skill and it is a caliber that can make it that far. Or is developing a load at 100 yards more or less a waste of time and ammo if it is going to be shot at 500 yards +. Thanks for the info!

The only way to know what you and your rifle can do @ 1000 is to shoot at a 1000. There are just too many variables to say ahead of time of what the rifle will shoot. .5" @ 100 is a good start. Now shoot the same combo @ 200 and see what happens. It may get bigger or it may get smaller. Like I said you have to shoot @ the range in question to find out. Its not a bad thing though, more trigger time is always good!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Theoretically, on paper you are right. 1/2" groups at 100 would equal 5" groups at 1000. But in the real world it dosen't work that way. As Lobo said there are too many things that can change the trajectory. Many of the variables start to become more apparent around 300-400 yards and at about 800 to 1000 they tend to take another swing twards the random. Again, as Lobo said .5 @100 is a good place to start then work up from there.

Always try for better.

Ok, thanks for the tips!

Actually, my rifles will usually shoot about 1/4" groups at 100 yards if I do my part right. I guess I will just have to try out the different ranges and see what happens. Thanks again!

I worked up a 1/4" load in my '06 using surplus powders. At 500yds, it would only put one bullet on a 8X11 target.

A change of powder and primer, some tweaking and it was shooting inside 4" at that range.

Testing at 100yds for LR loads is a waste of time. I use 180yds as my min and 250yds if wind is light.

Then verify at the max range you want to shoot. Stringing that doesn't look like much on a 1" group can become a foot or more as distance increases.

If 100yds groups were indicative of 1000yds groups, BR results would have 2" groups more often then listed as a new world record.

Jerry

1/2 inch groups at 100 do not translate into 5 inches at 1000. The reason is that most causes of dispersion increase faster than linear with distance.
For example the wind correction at 1000 will be more than double that at 500. This is also true of other factors.
Your 1/4 inch groups are certainly a good start though.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.