Question...the best long range Elk bullet

hitsthemark

Several friends of mine here in Colorado hunt long elk ranges. Often they take longer than optimal shots. Regardless of my personal view on the merits of taking such long range shots, it got me to thinking. I know that tough, bonded-core, partition, solid copper bullets are best for Elk. BUT.....do the reduced impact velocities at extreme ranges CHANGE the bullet recommendations? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, and usually "normal" hunting bullets are not accurate enough for LR shooting, nor do they have the BC we need. Those same bullets that hold together so well in the woods at 50yds, probably will not expand at all at 1,000yds, let alone 1500yds.

Depending on the range at which you are shooting, I have been seeing some impressive results with the 200 gr .308" Accubond and 225 gr .338" Accubond when fired in the larger magnum rounds in each caliber.

They may not have the extreme B.C. of the true VLD or ULD style bullets but they are much better as far as on game performance goes.

They open up easily, at any range where velocity is over 1500 fps and they hold together for good penetration as well from the bonded Core design.

Another option is to order some of the Wildcat Bullets ULD hunting bullets. These are built on heavy tapered cases and have very good B.C. values. These bullets are offered in most calibers up to .338".

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

MatchKings work for several people here, including myself, in the short range or long range game.
In my opinion, fancy bullets are not needed as much as the ability to put the shot in the boiler room.

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Bullets I would suggest are heavy weights for calibre. hornady SST, Interbond and AMax, Nosler Ballistic tip and Accubond, Matchkings. I have not played with VLD bullets from Berger or Wildcat, etc so will not comment.

Impact vel is the most critical factor is determining bullet. Running data through a ballistics program will give you an idea of how slow the bullet is going at you intended ranges.

The bullets named above really work down to around 1400fps. They could be irratic at expansion below that so do some expansion tests by shooting into water filled milk jugs at LR.

One main reason why we use the largest calibre and heaviest bullet for LR hunting. You can't always rely on expansion so a big caliber and heavy bullet works even with little to no expansion.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.