Nosler's revolutionary creation

When the bench rest or F class shooters start picking up the CM/PRC cartridges, then maybe I'll find merit in their "revolutionary" designs.
Not sure what type of equivalency you're proposing by including my post in your comment, but I would appreciate more context. I dont regularly follow F class, so I'll ask if there's a common or established corelation to cartridges that are designed for that discipline becoming popular, well established hunting/shooting rounds outside of F class?

I didn't go back through the entire thread, but I don't recall that revolutionary was used as an adjective to describe the PRC cartridges, so not sure why it's in quotes?

If anything, the beauty in PRC designs is in the fact that they are more pedestrian cartridges born from tweaks to previously well established, highly regarded OEM and popular wildcat rounds. Whereas some other new cartridges through the years have been flush with hyperbolic claims that can't stand up, the PRC cartridges simply align and optimize the mechanical attributes that matter most - like COAL, BC, throat geometry, twist, and reliable feeding/cycling - in factory rifles with readily available ammunition and components.

I'm not implying that they are going to fundamentally shift paradigms or are worth buying if one has something similar in a configuration that one likes, but I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand in what they were going for with the PRC cartridges and in what they have to offer over older designs if one is in the market for something new.

Last edited:
Not sure what type of equivalency you're proposing by including my post in your comment, but I would appreciate more context. I dont regularly follow F class, so I'll ask if there's a common or established corelation to cartridges that are designed for that discipline becoming popular, well established hunting/shooting rounds outside of F class?

I didn't go back through the entire thread, but I don't recall that revolutionary was used as an adjective to describe the PRC cartridges, so not sure why it's in quotes?

If anything, the beauty in PRC designs is in the fact that they are more pedestrian cartridges born from tweaks to previously well established, highly regarded OEM and popular wildcat rounds. Whereas some other new cartridges through the years have been flush with hyperbolic claims that can't stand up, the PRC cartridges simply align and optimize the mechanical attributes that matter most - like COAL, BC, throat geometry, twist, and reliable feeding/cycling - in factory rifles with readily available ammunition and components.

I'm not implying that they are going to fundamentally shift paradigms or are worth buying if one has something similar in a configuration that one likes, but I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand in what they were going for with the PRC cartridges and in what they have to offer over older designs if one is in the market for something new.
Since you are looking to nitpick and sound superior in intellect you should be able to figure out what I'm trying to say.

If the Creedmoor and PRC cartridges were such a superior design, you would see shooting disclipines that strive for tiny groups at long distances flocking to them. To my knowledge that isn't happening.

I've said plenty of times that for someone tha wants a factory rifle and decent to good factory ammo there are merits to them. But I see no good reason to spend multi thousand dollars on a custom rig in those cartridges.

The people who think they are the best cartridges ever invented and they perform some kind of magic are annoying as well.

once you run short action magnums for a while, long action is about like going to a 8 foot bed crew cab truck from a short bed. nothing more annoying to riding timber trails in a 8ft bed crew cab truck and 3 to 4 point parking in town is annoying as ****
It's funny you mention this- I've got a handful of tikkas with several handfuls of barrels. For a very brief period I changed bolt stops to match the various short action chambers I shoot. Then one day I didn't, and it made no difference whatsoever. Now it's one less step to switch barrels. Hell, even my Dasher gets the full stroke of the bolt.

Most of us picked whatever brass wrapper was available when we got in the hobby, and work around whatever short comings or perceived brass short comings there are.

There is probably some merit to small changes in shoulder angle, neck length and the like. Not likely big enough changes to matter in any hunting scenario that will matter. Long 6.5 bullets not fitting in your 6.5x284 short action... go 6.5prc or buy an xm action. Chances the brass wrapper makes a meaningful difference with equal components is unlikely.

Doesn't matter how much emotional attachment one has to their particular brass wrapper, it's still just a brass wrapper. Factory options or personal preference can change the benefits of one or the other, but the cult following some get is laughable. Marketing is a powerful thing.

Since you are looking to nitpick and sound superior in intellect you should be able to figure out what I'm trying to say.

If the Creedmoor and PRC cartridges were such a superior design, you would see shooting disclipines that strive for tiny groups at long distances flocking to them. To my knowledge that isn't happening.

I've said plenty of times that for someone tha wants a factory rifle and decent to good factory ammo there are merits to them. But I see no good reason to spend multi thousand dollars on a custom rig in those cartridges.

The people who think they are the best cartridges ever invented and they perform some kind of magic are annoying as well.
Didn't cortina just win nationals with a 7/6.5prc reamer wheeler designed?

Anyway Most of the people talking in that manner are comparing them to a factory chambered 7 mag with 20 thousandths growth after the first firing, not a 6bra. And for factory chambers and factory ammo being able to go buy good match ammo for 1.50 at Walmart and it shoot well in your factory gun is arguably "kind of" revolutionary or at least was.

Let's just say this I called wheeler and wanted to build a 300 win and he suggested he liked the prc case design, I asked if he wanted to throat it differently and he said nope it's quite good as is.

If he's saying that, they did something right. (Aside from the .20 datum growth he fixed in his reamer for reloading hot charges)

Merry Christmas all!!

Maybe nosler could try producing affordable and available ammo
Not only that but increase or fill in their bullet selection. There so many holes in available bullets. All they seem to build heavy grains bullets. They also seem to build for their rifle chambers and not for anything else. I haven't seen any 165grs in 308 cal nor 200 grs in 338. That's BT or ACUB.

I wasn't trying to come across any specific way. Because I don't follow F class in anything more than a general sense, I was curious about the level of correlation between rounds popular in that sphere vs rounds that are popular for less competitive/enjoyment long range shooting and hunting.

They should have just done a fast twist 270 WSM. Maybe call it WSM-FT. Mark the ammo for fast twist only in the heavies.

That's basically what they did. I feel a different name is warranted. Elstwise, how many shooters would be complaining about how poorly the new FT ammo shoots out of their old 270 WSM, or vice versa? Maybe not on internet forums where more people are well informed, but for a lot of the shooting world twist and BC remian esoteric subjects.

Granted, you could send a letter to the 10 people who bought 270 WSM's . . .

Love a good thread resurrections.

I've had a 30 Nosler for some time and truly loved it. It was a shooter and very easy to load for. I sold it to change a few things about the rifle not the round. I plan to get back into one at some point as I feel it's a sweet spot for 30 cal mags.

I'm having a very hard time finding the barrel that I wanted so I'm going a different direction and going to dip my toe in the 338 world with a 9.3 twist 338 RUM. If you line them up, it's a little bigger then a Nosler and a little smaller than a 300 RUM.

6.8 Western and .270 WSM

20231226_214612.jpg