Nosler's revolutionary creation

I've long thought that the value of a short action is greatly overstated for most applications. In a lot of cases, ie short mags, a true short action costs a lot in terms of bullet selection and powder capacity. Better to run them in a medium length like a Tikka.

If action rigidity is legitimately a concern, run a closed top design.
once you run short action magnums for a while, long action is about like going to a 8 foot bed crew cab truck from a short bed. nothing more annoying to riding timber trails in a 8ft bed crew cab truck and 3 to 4 point parking in town is annoying as ****

once you run short action magnums for a while, long action is about like going to a 8 foot bed crew cab truck from a short bed. nothing more annoying to riding timber trails in a 8ft bed crew cab truck and 3 to 4 point parking in town is annoying as ****

Hey, my daily driver is a F350 4-door, long bed lol.

I've been running my 6x284 in an '06 action since the beginning. I too am of the belief that the short mags need at least a medium action to see full potential. Each to their own, which is why we have so many awesome options today.

t

I ran short actions for years and years. I truly don't notice much difference in field use, and I'd much rather have more COAL to work with any day. I'll add that I do a lot of hunting in cut over areas with 15-20 yd visibility. As far as bolt throw when cycling the action, an extra .5" length might make a big difference for some things in life, but not in bolt actions . . .

For speed and ease of use, I'd take a decreased bolt angle over less length.

I, too, don't like long trucks in tight spaces, but don't really see the equivalence. YMMV, etc, etc.

Last edited:
To get the most out of my 300WSM I quit using a short action and went to an intermediate 3006 length action with s magnum bolt face I could use the highest BC copper bullets. Action is 3.3" OAL friendly.
I suggested that to a friend long ago. Gives you plenty of space in the magazine too.
I like the short action WSM's for flexibility. As an avid reloader, I have used full patch 140gr Partitions for SC hogs, downloaded the 270 WSM with 130gr soft points in the woods and for kids, and made an 8x57 equivalent load in the 325 WSM to use in thick brush. They may never be a "mainstream" cartridge, but I like the flexibility. I also like exploring the possibility of using them in a magnum length action with longer bullets and a faster twist; just for kicks.
I actually loved my .325 WSM. I wish I had never sold it. It was a Savage 14 American Hunter, and was absolutely beautiful. They are a lot of fun to load for and shoot too. Here is an old pic. Its the walnut stock.
Bolt_guns_zpsca06778f.jpg

I suggested that to a friend long ago. Gives you plenty of space in the magazine too.

I actually loved my .325 WSM. I wish I had never sold it. It was a Savage 14 American Hunter, and was absolutely beautiful. They are a lot of fun to load for and shoot too. Here is an old pic. Its the walnut stock.
View attachment 524133
The 325 deserved better. A high BC 225 or 230 out of it would be a real dandy for large game near and far. I don't shoot it much, but there's one in my cache.

Such as it is, the 225 Seirra has a decent BC and it's been a solid performer. The 325 is an efficient way to deliver 225 grn quite a ways off.

Well the PRC is simply riding the 6.5 creedmore's coattails
Pretty much every cartridge released since 2010 (exception for straight walls satisfying foolish state legislative rules) is "riding the Creedmoor's coat tails." The only thing 6.5PRC shares is a projectile diameter- it's basically a short magnum.
People love to crap on Creedmoor, but it's influence is undeniable. OL Shooting Editor John B Snow wrote a very interesting piece crediting Creedmoor's launch as the intro of the "modern cartridge design" era- virtually every cartridge since then has repackaged the same formula:
Long, heavy, high BC bullets; sharp shoulder angles; fast twist; longer neck length; moderate velocity; tight throats.

Love a good thread resurrections.

I've had a 30 Nosler for some time and truly loved it. It was a shooter and very easy to load for. I sold it to change a few things about the rifle not the round. I plan to get back into one at some point as I feel it's a sweet spot for 30 cal mags.

I'm having a very hard time finding the barrel that I wanted so I'm going a different direction and going to dip my toe in the 338 world with a 9.3 twist 338 RUM. If you line them up, it's a little bigger then a Nosler and a little smaller than a 300 RUM.

Pretty much every cartridge released since 2010 (exception for straight walls satisfying foolish state legislative rules) is "riding the Creedmoor's coat tails." The only thing 6.5PRC shares is a projectile diameter- it's basically a short magnum.
People love to crap on Creedmoor, but it's influence is undeniable. OL Shooting Editor John B Snow wrote a very interesting piece crediting Creedmoor's launch as the intro of the "modern cartridge design" era- virtually every cartridge since then has repackaged the same formula:
Long, heavy, high BC bullets; sharp shoulder angles; fast twist; longer neck length; moderate velocity; tight throats.

I partially agree here.

IMO, the RUM / WSM / RSUM set the standard for modern case design circa 1999-2000.

Hornady set the standard for heavy bullets, fast twist barrels and throats long enough to work adding ultimate marketing with the creed. They're all chasing that legacy now.

I've long thought that the value of a short action is greatly overstated for most applications. In a lot of cases, ie short mags, a true short action costs a lot in terms of bullet selection and powder capacity. Better to run them in a medium length like a Tikka.

If action rigidity is legitimately a concern, run a closed top design.
I agree for the most part