Nosler Model 48 Independence for close range deer

Lenny Foffa

Hi all, I am a lifetime 270 Win Fan, with a Light Rifle, for Whitetail Deer Hunting. This year I had the chance to hunt in Penn, where the Elevated blind was positioned just inside the wood line. So deer in the open filed could be seen to almost 100 yards, but the majority of the shots would be 30 to 70 yards in the wooded aera. So, I am wondering if the Nosler Model 48 Independence Bolt Action Pistol is an option here. I am Considering this Pistol, with its 15-inch barrel, in 6.5 Creed, or 7mm 08 for whitetail deer. Any Thoughts??? Thanks all, Lenny

Either caliber would work just fine for your setup. Shooting game with a pistol adds a challenge to the hunt. As birddog 68 said Ernie should respond here. He is the expert on bolt action pistols. I still use Contenders.

Hi all, I am a lifetime 270 Win Fan, with a Light Rifle, for Whitetail Deer Hunting. This year I had the chance to hunt in Penn, where the Elevated blind was positioned just inside the wood line. So deer in the open filed could be seen to almost 100 yards, but the majority of the shots would be 30 to 70 yards in the wooded aera. So, I am wondering if the Nosler Model 48 Independence Bolt Action Pistol is an option here. I am Considering this Pistol, with its 15-inch barrel, in 6.5 Creed, or 7mm 08 for whitetail deer. Any Thoughts??? Thanks all, Lenny

First, There are a number of folks here who are excellent shooters/hunters with handguns of all kinds, including bolt action specialty pistols.
Second, the Nosler Pistol is a great buy for what you get. These suckers typically shoot 1/2 MOA or better.
Getting a good self-timing brake allows the recoil levels to become a non-issue.
I have one in 6mm Creedmoor.
I shot it a couple of times before my surgeries, out to 600 yards with one of Nosler titanium brakes.
I now have a EC Tuner brake on it.
Nice trigger.
Biggest issue is finding a AR grip that closely mimics the McMillan Center-Grip Stock. Chris Rhodes spent more than a few dollars figuring that out. I went through two of them, before getting a Boyds Pistol Grip Smooth AR-15, LR-308 Laminated Wood. I will have it shortened sometime after the first of the year.

Thank You all. Ernie your advice is greatly appreciated. If you would allow one other question, I would ask you do a want a Leupold Pistol EER scope, or one of my rifle scopes. In a u tube video, one shooter loved this rig with the Leupold 2X to 8X hand gun scope. Would you agree??? Thanks agian Ernie, Lenny

64EC24B2-3EB4-4A03-A2B1-0B0F80B77036.jpeg