VLDs at close range?

Csafisher

I know many love vlds for long range hunting but how do they perform on short range shots? Specifically deer under 300yrds? I would shoot a 185gr in .30 cal.

You will get several varying opinions on this subject but here are my experiences. I have never seen a VLD fail at long or short range. Just recently my buddy and I both shot Black bears at close range and the bullets performed perfectly. My buddy shot a sow at 100ish yards with a 7mm and a 168 and it made a typical pencil sized hole going in but a golf ball exit hole. The bear went less than 20 yards. My bear was better than a 6' boar and I shot it at 60 yards with a 6.5x47 Lapua and a 130 grain VLD. Once again pencil size hole going in and bullet fragments stuck in the skin on the off side. That bear also went no further than 20 yards suffering massive internal damage. I would like to note that my bear was shot through the front shoulder as it was quartering to me.
I know some people on here have experienced failures with VLD's at close range but with over 10+ years shooting them I have yet to see a failure. For all the VLD haters I am not saying it isn't possible just relaying my experiences. Best case scenerio is to wait for a good broadside shot and if you shoot the critter behind the shoulder I do not think you will ever have an issue. Take a frontal shot or try to punch through the shoulders, you may or may not have an issue.

I agree with CPGfan, the elk below was with a 210 Berger at 200 or 250, cant remember. Many many critters from antelope 60 to 813 yards, deer 100 to 500 yards, Elk 100 to 803. never a problem.

Most recently this black bear with pics of the exit and story here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f88/my-2011-black-bear-my-300-wm-73292/

Ya know, it doesn't matter what bullet you post and ask about, you will get guys with good and guys with bad experiences. Look at the pics of my bear and decide for yourself.

Jeff

Last edited:
I shot a 3x4 mule deer at 125yd with 7rm and 168 bergers, bullet did not exit. The deer went down I walked over to it and he tried to run. I shot him again at point-blank and it was over. After examination the deer had massive internal damage and was dead but just didnt know it. The first shot was in the lungs to avoid meat damage, so if I woulda waited a few min he would have expired w/o the second shot.

thats good to know. I was going to try the 185 grain bergers in my 300. wsm and see how they performed. I wouldn't be taking shots past 600 yards anyways but if the shot occurred up close its good to know they will work. I still think that because it will be within the 600 yards mark that the 180 grain accubond will work better for my application. Shots from 50-600 yards.

The last two elk I killed were at 80yds and 60 yds. Both killed with a 210 vld with a mv of 3150. In my experience, up close just stay off the shoulder blade and you'll be fine. The reason I say that is I have seen one "splash" on a shoulder shot at similar range and required a follow up shot. Both of mine were hit behind the shoulder. One dropped in it's tracks and the other bolted 20 yds and piled up.

I shot a yote with my 338 edge with 300 smk @60yrd had an exit hole the size of a soft ball. and kill a but load of hog of all sizes never any trouble.

I shot a yote with my 338 edge with 300 smk @60yrd had an exit hole the size of a soft ball. and kill a but load of hog of all sizes never any trouble.
Aren't you a little under gunned for a yote?:D

I shot a large boar with a 168 gr.VLD and it launched him. He was quartering toward me at a pretty good angle and it went through the third rib from the front and liquified everything inside.
Shot a 5x6 bull in Colorado last year and he ran about 75 yards straight down hill. Same shot as the hog with the same results. The lungs were mush.

30-06 168gr VLD a few deer from 20 yards to 150. No troubles
308 168GR VLD 10 yards to 200 no troubles
300 win mag 168gr and 210gr from 30 yards out to 200 no troubles.

All shots exited and deer dropped on the spot.

If you'd hit him between the last two ribs just below the spine it would have likely cut him in half instead.

Something to shoot for in the future... .gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.