SMK at close range

Northerner

I am just getting into long range shooting and can see once I am good enough it could roll over into long range hunting. I have been looking at a lot of information and see the SMK gets a lot of press from long range hunters. Sierra says this is not a hunting bullet. Watching videos of long shots it will put down animals from a long way off, but what does it do if you come across an elk at 50 yards?

I currently shoot a 300RUM and have some 210gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets. I would also like to know if these are going to work close up as well.

One of my hunting partners shoots a 340 Weatherby and he is interested in the 300gr SMK, but as we are meat hunters, we don't just look in the big canyons, we hunt the tops and have shot elk at under 100 yards. We carry the same rifle in the woods as in the canyons so the question of close shots is important.

Thanks,

I am just getting into long range shooting and can see once I am good enough it could roll over into long range hunting. I have been looking at a lot of information and see the SMK gets a lot of press from long range hunters. Sierra says this is not a hunting bullet. Watching videos of long shots it will put down animals from a long way off, but what does it do if you come across an elk at 50 yards?

I currently shoot a 300RUM and have some 210gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets. I would also like to know if these are going to work close up as well.

One of my hunting partners shoots a 340 Weatherby and he is interested in the 300gr SMK, but as we are meat hunters, we don't just look in the big canyons, we hunt the tops and have shot elk at under 100 yards. We carry the same rifle in the woods as in the canyons so the question of close shots is important.

Thanks,
Depends on the game.

I would say definitely no to both on Dense bodied/heavy boned game like big hogs and elk with MV's above 2800 at ranges under 400yds because they will tend to blow up.

I'd say the same really even if you don't hit large bone because you are going to ruin a lot of meat.

Look at a true hunting bullet like the Swift Scirocco or Hornady Interbond if you want the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't recommend the SMK from a 300 RUM at 50 yards as the bullet will blow up at those velocities. I have shot deer at medium ranges wtih the SMK in a 308; it did the job but didn't expand much. The Berger should be O.K. but each shot is different and any bullet can fail under the right conditions. I have had great success with the 208 Amax at close and long ranges.

I have not used SMK's but have used the Berger VLD's and JLK's from 50 yards to 1000 on whitetal sized game. This is with a 6.5x284 at 2965 fps. Shoulder or lung shots have performed excellently with good penetration, without excessive meat damage, no more than an Accubond class bullet. Typically a 2" exit hole even on shoulder shots at closer ranges. I'm partial to the JLK's but that just might be me.

I haven't hunted a lot with my LR rig. So far I have taken the following. All with the 300gr SMK at 2690 FPS from a .338RUM built by Kirby. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Bull Moose at 75 yards: 1 shot dropped him in his tracks

Fallow Deer at 50 yards: 1 shot and the deer ran about 30 yards and dropped. I don't think the bullet had time to expand and was a pass thru shot. Did cause some damage on the exit but not too bad.

Black Bear at 535 yards: 1 shot dropped him in his tracks

Oryx at 375 yards: 1 shot dropped her in her tracks

So I'll continue with what I'm doing since I'm having pretty good success.

The 338 300 SMK is a scary deadly bullet. Don't know about smaller calibers but the 338 in my edge does a lot of damage

djtjr,

Have you hit something elk sized at close range? Say 150yards or closer? If so, did you hit big bone, or just ribs?

Thanks,

The 338 300 SMK is a scary deadly bullet. Don't know about smaller calibers but the 338 in my edge does a lot of damage

I've shot a bunch of antelope with both a 168 gr SMK and a 220 gr SMK and one thing is certain. They are deadly and leave VERY LARGE exit wounds at ranges from 50 yards to past 300.

Hicks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts