Nosler E-Tip Thoughts and Experiences

slickyboyboo

What are y'all's thoughts and experiences with the Nosler E-Tip bullets? I just picked some up to try out of my .257 Roberts. I will probably shoot them with some IMR 4350.

3 shots and 3 kills with them out of 2 different 7mm Rem Mags. First deer I've ever seen cough up part of its lung was the first one shot with an E-Tip. My father shot that one, he swears by them now lol. They're good, but me personally if I'm going with a lead free monolithic I'm going with Cutting Edge. Nosler makes good bullets, just overzealous with their BC figures (which can be said for a lot of manufacturers). Try Shooters Pro Shop, you can get them blemished (cosmetic mostly) for around 1\2 price...

3 shots and 3 kills with them out of 2 different 7mm Rem Mags. First deer I've ever seen cough up part of its lung was the first one shot with an E-Tip. My father shot that one, he swears by them now lol. They're good, but me personally if I'm going with a lead free monolithic I'm going with Cutting Edge. Nosler makes good bullets, just overzealous with their BC figures (which can be said for a lot of manufacturers). Try Shooters Pro Shop, you can get them blemished (cosmetic mostly) for around 1\2 price...

How finicky was it to get them to shoot well?

Actually 4 kills in 4 shots now that I look back. Honestly we didn't do any load development with them (my father loaded them, I would have tested for accuracy if I'd done them). Just tossed em together with a minimum book load and shot them. Accuracy wasn't great but better than most bullets we've used, around 3/4 inch groups at 50yds. From what I've heard from others, they aren't very finicky at all, but I don't know having not really tested them.

I tried to get 2 boxes of 168 Gr. Nosler E-Tip to replace 180 gr. Nosler Partition in my 300 WSM for a Moose Hunt in 2014. Could only get one box of 50. Not enough bullets for load development and then hunt with. I tried the 165 Gr. GMX could not get them to shoot in this rifle to suit me. My rifle likes 180 gr. and the 165 gr GMX was a little longer than the 180. I now have 2 boxes of 168 E-Tips. Will be watching this post and looking forward to load them when the weather warms in the spring. Newfoundland for moose in 2016.

I load d up the 140 E-tip in my 7mm STW just for fun and found the most accurate load in my rifle. Grouped 0.349" edge to edge at 100 yards. Hammered a Wyoming antelope at 440 yards this past season. He did a 180, jumped in the air and was dead before he hit the ground. Quartering away shot. Opposite shoulder was destroyed and chunks of lung in the body cavity. I'm really pleased with this bullet.
I found that these bullets needed to be seated deeper than my usual COAL. I normally set my COAL to 3.625", but the E-tip is 3.57" ( which is the COAL listed by Nosler). My recipe is 80.0 gr of RL25, CCI 450 primer, Nosler brass. Gives me 3279 fps

What are y'all's thoughts and experiences with the Nosler E-Tip bullets? I just picked some up to try out of my .257 Roberts. I will probably shoot them with some IMR 4350.

If I draw cow elk tag, I hunt with Shilen barrel 30-06 with 150gr E-Tip and I've yet to recover a bullet. Bullets I got came with slip of paper recommend .050" to .100" off the lands and not to exceed mid load.

Outside of seating depth wasn't problem on working up a load. Unit I hunt cows in 300yds be considered long shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.