NOSLER Bonded Bullets - .30 and .338

Ian M

Just got these today - they are very beautiful looking bullets. .30's are in 200 grain and .338's are in 225 grain. Will be shooting the .30's in a couple of my magnums and have definite plans for the 225's and a certain Lilja barreled custom .338 that has shot some 3-shot groups well under a half inch. Looks like I will be cranking magnum cases instead of my beloved .308's for a while.
I believe that these Noslers are going to roll some black bears this spring!
Will post a few results as I get into a wide variety of testing.

That is a very good question and I will try to find out a reasonable answer. We have a pretty nice test medium and procedure, plus hope to shoot some bears and other game so we could find out a few things about real field performance.
Won't be shooting for a few days, we just got clobbered with more snow.

ian, Called mike at nosler, said that the accu-bond will open up slightly faster, although I read on Nosler's website that these new bullets retain nearly 100% and since the Partition is consistantly 60%(tested that myself years ago) I'm using the new kid in town when it comes to Wapati. Although Hornady bonded bullets are less expensive, $30 per 100 vs. $19 per 50. Jay
wink.gif

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

My shipment of 200's came in Friday. Very impressive looking bullet.

Jacket smoothness/finish is much better than the Scirocco. I also noticed the fit between the plastic tip and the jacket is much better (Sciroccos many times have gaps between the two).

I sectioned one and am very impressed. The jacket starts out really thin and the plastic tip protrudes into the lead about 1/10" so it should have no problem opening up at low velocities. The jacket then tapers and gets really heavy for the last 1/2 of its length. Since this jacket isn't soft, pure copper like the Swift's it should be much tougher. This bullet is going to hold together!

I bent and twisted one of the halves trying to get the jacket and core to separate but couldn't. They seem to be very well bonded.

Unfortunately it will be a while before I'm able to do any real testing so I'm looking forward to your results, Ian!

Jon,
I hope to start some accuracy and velocity shooting this week, will use a couple of .300's and my pet .338. Those are long bullets compared to the 150's, 168's and 175's I usually crank.
I agree with your assessment, the Noslers appear to be somewhat better assembled than Sciroccos re the gap at the tip - this is pure cosmetics I believe. Would also agree that they are "smoother" but again this might be more cosmetic than significant re performance.
Only one way to to compare them - hurl a bunch downrange. I believe my shoulder is about to catch hell.

Okay, now you guys have gotton me excited about these accubonds. Are these okay to use on elk or should I use partitions? And should I use 180 or 200 grains from my 300rum?. So where do you get these accubonds??? I cant find them anywhere!!

Okay, I just called Nosler and spoke with a technician there. He said that the 200 grain bullet would be better than the 180 and that the accubond and partition are very similar. However, If I were going long range, the accubond would be more superior.

Jon said Cabellas had the 200's.

I think the 200 AB will work on elk or moose at point blank range and all the way on out, it's bonded and will take the velocity well. The Scirocco or the Interbond should work the same too.

Keep impact vel under 3000fps and these bullets are going to be useable on anything this continent has to offer.

If heavy bullet, moderate vel and through penetration are your thing, your "accurate" bullets have just been invented.

Ian, I am glad that it is you, not me, that is going to need a new shoulder...ouch. Better get out and shoot them while the weather is still way too cold. Will make you numb to the pain.

Jerry

Jerry,
I loaded a bunch of .300's this evening - those are big suckers compared to the mighty .308 Win. These are very uniform bullets, even the lengths on this batch are very good. I loaded them out at 3.575", which makes a .300 Win. look like a real cartridge
grin.gif

Put some factories into the box for foulers and they are a lot shorter, but the rifle is on the long action M-70 so I can even seat these into the mag.
Plan on loading your beloved Hornady's into the .300 after I get a good Nosler load - will start with the 165's. We won't be shooting long for a few days, very wet out there since we got the foot of snow the other day.
It's the .338's that will be the nasties, don't have a heavy rifle for that job. PAST recoil shield will get used, they are great.

Ian, Changeing the subject a little bit but have you tried any of the Hormady SST bullets in any of your 308 rifles ? If so what are your results . By the way I saw one of your guns at the gun show over the weekend, NICE looking gun . Looks like a real shooter .

smoak,

I can't speak from experience (but then again, nobody else can at this point
wink.gif
) but I'm 99.9% sure this will be an excellent elk bullet. In fact, I plan to use them myself in Wyoming in 2004 if everything works out as planned.

A guy on a different board tested them against 200 Partitions into dry newspaper (a very tough test) and they penetrated within an inch of the partitions while having a larger frontal area because they retained more weight. I plan to launch them somewhere around 3200 fps.

They are only available as 200's in 30 cal. They were in stock last time I checked at Midway and MidSouth Shooter's Supply. Give'm a try.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts