NOSLER Bonded Bullets - .30 and .338

Shot the new Noslers today, tried several three-shot groups with 4350 and H-1000. Best three-shot group was with a max load of 4350, it went into 0.322". Had one other sub 1/2 moa 3-shot group with a lighter charge also. Best 3-shot group with H-1000 was 0.392".
Now to get some velocities and drops - I have the accuracy.
Rifle is a rebuilt long action Laredo, Lilja with a 10x B&L Tactical in Badgers and Nears.

Sounds good Ian! Looks like the potential is indeed there. Do you have it in mind to figure the BC from the drops and MV next time out Ian? You are going to run some through the 308 too?

Will take the Oehler out next trip, plus develope some drops when we can put the steel out long. Looks like these are very accurate bullets
grin.gif

Sheldon,
You are correct, the scope on that rifle is the discontinued B&L 10X tactical. It is 30mm and extremely sharp, I believe it provides better definition and brightness than my MK4's. Only scope that I use that would match or beat it is the new Nikon tacticals and the NXS's.

Only problem with the B&L is the parallax adjustment is on the eyepiece, you sharpen up your image and the **** Butler Creek opens on a wierd angle. Would have been perfect if it had a third turret like everyone is using now. Excellent snappy turrets, big suckers, nice tough 30mm scope. Also haver a couple of the little 1" Elite 3200 tacticals, for the money they are fine scopes and excellent bargain.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you going caribou hunting?

Shot the .30 cal Noslers at 700 and 1000 yards today and they did very well.

Drop from a 100 yard zero in my .300 Win was 14moa at 700 and 26moa at 1000 yards.

Don't know the muzzle velocity yet but this 4350 load shoots good. Had four out of five shots in about 12", called the other shot out and it was still within 18" easily at 1000.

1000 yards is certainly tougher than our favored 700 yard practice distance but we got a lot of hits on our small plates (15"-18" square), and pretty good consistency on the big 2'x4' zeroing plate.

Right on, very cool Ian!
smile.gif

2'x4' steel plate!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I'll bet that thing takes one guy on each end and another to clip the chains on!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Way to go Ian, I got to get me a big plate like that, I got steel plate envy.
grin.gif

Thanks for the great review!

Brent,
Today we found a source of hardened plate that is very interesting - they gave us a piece about 2'x2' to try out. It is only 3/16th thick but apparently very hard. Will shoot it and give you the details.

I have a bunch of 2'x4' sheets that range from 0.375" to 0.5" - they are too **** heavy for one guy but will last forever if we only shoot them at the longer ranges. All have holes in the corner so we can insert "S" hooks and hang them from our swingset or sawhorses. Also have about a dozen 12"x12" and 15"x15" free-standing plates that we can knock over - set some on a sawhorse yesterday at 1000 and we picked them off one after the other. Way more fun when the target falls over - sort of like a "kill".

Yesterday the 168's were drilling clean thru a 2"x6" at 1000 yards - nice neat .30 cal holes but no expansion as the exit was .30 cal. Had a good day shooting yesterday and it is snowing as a I type this. ****.

3/16", hmmmmm, that would be sweet! I'd trade my 1/2" for one any day! Do let me know how it works out.
smile.gif

When you guys stand them up to knock 'em over, do you just lean them forward propped against a stick or something? That sounds like it would be fun to set them at unknown yardages like that, measure with the R2, mil-dot or take a shot with the range finder and blamo!!
grin.gif

Brent,
We take a piece of 1/2" plate about 12 to 16 inches square. Then weld two pieces of angle-iron (2") facing opposite directions along an edge so that you get a base. It looks like an inverted "T". This is enough to stand it upright. We tip them back a bit and put a small rock under the facing edge so that the bullet will knock the plate over.
Build a bunch, there are no end of games you can play with these plates, like leaving a 6" gap between two and putting a third one a couple of feet back in line with the gap. Shooter has to take the back one by putting his shot thru the gap. Very tricky at 700 yards when the wind is blowing.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.