Long Range Steel Gong & Bonded Bullet

jamesmc2

I can shoot out to 400 yards at my local range on paper. I have been shooting longer ranges (500 to 800 yards) on steel using the 6.5 140gr Amax. I just switched to the ELD-X which is a bonded bullet. Can I shoot these at my steel gong and longer ranges without destroying it? Anyone here shoot long range steel with a bonded bullet?

The ELD is not bonded, it's interlocked, won't be an issue any way, if you want to trash steel a more conventional bullet like a VLD does more damage than a bonded or copper.

Thanks for the replies, looks like the ELD-X is essentially an improved SST. I have shot the SST on steel at longer range with good results.

Our first steel plates were made from some sort of bucket off a loader. It was mild steel and we would punch holes in it if we shot it under 500 yards. I am not sure that the 6.5 would have had enough sd to get through it. We later changed to AR 500 steel. We don't shoot the steel under 600 yards, but it never shows a mark. We have hit it with some hot stuff. So as long as you have the AR 500 steel, I don't think you can hurt it.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.