Spring deer hunt with 150 gr. Bonded Bullets

Ian M

Just back from an opportunity to shoot a few deer on a CWD-sample hunt that our game dept put on. My partner and I shot deer with 150 grain bonded bullets (Hornady Interbond and Swift Scirocco) in our .308's. These are very effective bullets, no doubt helped by the fact that we had some excellent velocities (2925fps). Recovered two Hornady Interbonds, one from a 500 yard shot and one from a 300 yard hit. Used a metal detector to find the bullets.
Appeared to me that the Sciroccos might be a little tougher, less meat damage on the off-side but both bullets were very effective. Small entrance holes, sometimes two or three inch exits through the off ribs, extensive damage to internal organs, exits through off side hide were about 2" to 3", bullet appeared to stay together well, no indication of secondary projectile leaving or punching the hide.
Interesting point was that the deer were dumped hard, hit in the chest they were down quick. Made shots at 400+ and 500+, all lasered with a Leica 1200 that worked perfectly. Used 3.5-15x50 NXS and a 4-16x50 Nikon tactical prototype.
One group of mulies stood out on a ridge, obviously thought that they were O.K. at just over 525 yards. Three of them took Sciroccos or Hornadys and dropped like stones. Complete pass-thrus, excellent bullet performance as far as internal damage.
This was a nice opportunity to hunt with the new Hornadys. They are excellent, the bullet recovered at 500 from a mulie retains 90.1% and is a very nice mushroom.
Shot some steel also and the landowner who we hunted with gave it a try - first three shot group at 700 yards went inside 1.8" center to center. He used my buddy's Rem. with 168 Speer match bullets. Fellow was slightly impressed...
grin.gif

Brent,
He done good, but fact is that the next group would not have been 8.1", those first three were the exception but nice to see.
Should have something heading north next week.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.