Nosler accubond

That's what happens when we listen to more experienced idiots. When I started shooting small-bore competion in high-school, a lot of competition shooters said you should never clean your rifle and I believed them. When I started shooting benchrest a hall of fame shooter told me to buy a borescope, and learn how to use it, so I did. Now I clean every 10-20 rounds, and shoot a whole lot better.
You sir are a legend, however it is only in your own mind.

Most of the "bullet" failure stories I'm seeing posted here are nearly identical.

*Impact velocity at the top end of the bullet threshold

The harder a bullet is pushed, the faster it will open. So if it's "maxed out" on velocity (or slightly over), it'll run a pretty good chance of failure (disintegration).

Switch to a heavier bullet to slow them down, back off on the velocity, or switch to a monolithic (and then start a thread about them penciling thru a long range).

The perfect bullet does not exist that will cover every scenario. Think of bullets with a jack of all trades mentality.

I personally have had fantastic luck with AB's in three different calibers. I went away from Gamekings and SST's for their explosive results. The AB's have held together and given me what I want.

I'm not doubting failures, because every bullet isn't perfect, but you need to know the limitations of the bullet. List the parameters you are looking for (species, velocity, distance), and try to find a bullet that falls into those parameters.

These bullets are advertised with an unlimited max velocity and shows a very intact bullet with an impact velocity of 3200. Not sure what you are taking about with these bullets being above the max velocity threshold. The picture is directly from Nosler.

Attachments

• 0E35B674-1201-4CF2-BDF3-508C8DC3890B.png
    0E35B674-1201-4CF2-BDF3-508C8DC3890B.png
    472.1 KB · Views: 41
These bullets are advertised with an unlimited max velocity and shows a very intact bullet with an impact velocity of 3200. Not sure what you are taking about with these bullets being above the max velocity threshold. The picture is directly from Nosler.
Pretty sure nosler doesn't assume you are going to run an A B into a brick wall either... Hitting heavy bone at that speed (3200'ish) is like hitting brick or stone; the bullet will rupture. Put it in the slats and take out the lungs/ heart and the bullet will be fine.

I hit a rib and impact velocity at 150 yards was just over 3000 FPS. That is what they claim the bullet was designed for. I am in no way saying and Accubonds are bad bullets but I am definitely saying that this Accubond failed to perform as Nosler advertised and as I have seen them perform in other situations. I also fully agree to other comments above that the 200 grain Accu bond probably would've been a better choice in this scenario. I'm not trying to bash Accu bonds just simply giving the information on what happened in this one incident

So I just got off the phone with Nosler and he said thats to be expected shooting and elk in the shoulder, ya I understand that then I asked him about the finishing round in the neck that blew up @ 50 yards and told me that was to be expected too. Monolithic here I come!

I'm shooting a 700 Remington 24" factory barrel in 7Stw with a 160 Nosler accubond @2974 fps I shot an 5 pt bull last weekend over in Idaho my question is any of you have problems with accubonds disintegrating on impact. The shot was 60ish yrds

At 60yds you're going to have a hard time getting anything to hold together other than the solid copper bullets particularly if you hit hard bone.

The exception to that rule would be the Nosler Partition which will shed the frontal part of the bullet with such a high speed impact but the bottom half should stay together and penetrate all the way through.

So I just got off the phone with Nosler and he said thats to be expected shooting and elk in the shoulder, ya I understand that then I asked him about the finishing round in the neck that blew up @ 50 yards and told me that was to be expected too. Monolithic here I come!

Give the Peregrine VLR's a shot, you won't regret it.

accubonds have been one of the most reliable bullets I've been around, until two days ago when my 10 year old son shot his first deer. It was a 130 out of a .260, 200 yards broadside on a decent little whitetail. Shot was perfect behind the shoulder, but the deer ran about 100 and went down, but kept his head up for several minutes, then tried to get up. I set my son up for a second shot, he hit in the heart at 250. The first bullet didn't get into the vitals, entrance hole was the size of a baseball. I've never seen an accubond do this, I've heard they don't always open at long range low velocity impacts, but haven't seen it personally. Nobody is perfect, I'm going to chalk this one up as a fluke until I see it happen again.

If I had to bet I'd bet that bullet struck something before hitting the deer.

There were some very light limbs you could be right it just cracks me up the entrance hole it left before it got to bone, it was not a choice shot it was literally slide off the horse and hurry up and shoot because he was leaving. Thank you for your input. I have recently worked up a load with 160 partitions for next year.

What about the Nosler E Tips?Anybody shoot them.The little I've heard about them they seem to work well,just don't hear much from them.I have a box of the 30 cal 180gr.They grouped really well out of my 300 Win Mag.That bullet is long,same as a 200gr Accubond if I remember right,if not really close.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.