Nosler accubond

While I have had decent results with 30cal 180 and better with 200gr AB's, I did witness a friend's 190ABLR fragment at under 100 yards on an elk shoulder hit from a 300RUM. It took a second shot to put the elk down, but I blame that on shot placement at high vel.

Mostly, I use the Scirocco II or 210ABLR to prevent this potential when an unexpected close shot presents.

I've had excellent performance from 160 ABs out of 7MMWSM and 7 Rem. for years, ever since they started making them. About 25 moose, a few mule deer, couple small bears, 1 wolf, couple coyotes. They exit and do damage on the the way out on the smaller critters but on large game I've had only two exit, 1 moose at 100yds and mule buck at 175. They performed perfect on Everything else from 150 to 780 yds. Mushroomed perfectly. Retained more weight at longer ranges as you'd expect. They're very accurate so I haven't even tried the ABLRs cause I'd have to verify another trajectory.

Close shot, in the center ridge of the shoulder blade, with a high impact velocity.... That's tough on any bullet. Dead elk despite all that isn't to shabby. I personally like accubonds but if you want more penetration for heavy bone go with Barnes TTSX or another copper monolithic. And congrats on a bull elk.

Is hot an elk with 160 AB from a 7mm rem mag at less than 50 yards Nicole size exit and dead elk with in ten yards or so very good bullet in my opinion

Corey

I'm shooting a 700 Remington 24" factory barrel in 7Stw with a 160 Nosler accubond @2974 fps I shot an 5 pt bull last weekend over in Idaho my question is any of you have problems with accubonds disintegrating on impact. The shot was 60ish yrds

I have had the same experience. Used 140 gr accubond in my 7mm STW Imp. Pushed them around 3250 and twice I had them disintegrate on impact on whitetail does at 50 and 65 yards. That was shortly after Nosler started producing them.

I had my first Accubond failure this years hunting in Wyoming. I had a doe tag and I shot her at 100 yards with a .308. I hit here in the shoulder and the 165g Accubond disintegrated and destroyed the shoulder. This is the first time I have ever experienced this. I have used Accubonds for a long time and swear by them.

I agree to center punch a elk in the shoulder is less than desirable and it was a quick shot as he was leaving I guess I just expected better out of the Ab my son had a similar situation in 2016 on a bull with a hornady Eld x and there was more bullet found in the end.

I'm shooting a 700 Remington 24" factory barrel in 7Stw with a 160 Nosler accubond @2974 fps I shot an 5 pt bull last weekend over in Idaho my question is any of you have problems with accubonds disintegrating on impact. The shot was 60ish yrds

I have seen two come apart. One was a 250gr out of 338 rum. It's was a steep down angle with mule deer facing me at 300 yards. I shot right at his spine between shoulder blades. Dumped him instantly. Only found pieces of the bullet and no exit.

The other was out of 30-378 wby. 180 gr blew up and about blew the front shoulder off. It killed it dead but wow was it a mess. That was extreme velocity and close range.

All others have performed well, they are a great all around bullets.

These were original accubonds. And both were 1 shot kills so not saying failure.

Using LRABs now, killed 2 cow elk, Auodad, an antelope. They worked perfectly, about 50-60% retention

The acromian process of a large elk's scapula, is about 1.5-2" of calcified bone with little or no marrow, at 60 yards this bullets still moving close to 3000fps, I would expect any bullet hitting that much bone, moving that fast would splatter almost like shooting a steel plate at a similar distance. I may be wrong, but It seems very plausible to me. Would take it as a learning experience on improving shot placement.

Hi Johny, from what I can see, your boys shot may be a little high,,,From my experience, (over 1,000 red deer) there is an area above the shoulder blade that we call the void, many deer have gotten away due to a through and through shot, I'm wondering if thats a possibility.

I've shot bulls at 427 yards and and 60 yards with my 7mm WSM 160 grain Accubonds. Both shots hit the spine, a little high I know, recovered both bullets and you literally couldn't tell the difference between the 2. Muzzle velocity was about 3000. Not sure the exact speed. But I did pencil hole a bull at about 100 yards, didn't hit bone, but killed it quickly just the same. Just no blood trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.