Nosler accubond

I have had nothing but excellent terminal performance with the Accubonds. I have used quite a few in 7mm, 30cal and 338.
I shot a large bull moose on the point of his shoulder with a 250gr doing 3,000 ft/sec. The moose was only 54yds away. The Accubond smashed through both shoulders and was caught in the off-side hide. Although the remaining bullet was only 140grs it remained intact after penetrating a significant amount of bone. Moose was DRT.

Two other shots on moose with the 250 AB were both pass throughs with typical damage along the bullet path.

Here's a couple of pics I guess I just expected better performance
I bet he went down like hit by lightning, and then a follow up was needed when you approached. That shot looks a bit high to me and when hit there it's pretty common to need another in the neck/lungs as you only got the very top of the lungs on the first shot.

I've had great success with Accubonds on a couple of elk and way too many muley's to count.One Muley was 505 yards and complete pass through.
One was hit at 55 yards and the bullet hit a rib and came apart but still drt!
I have had a bullet failure on a 180 gr Nosler Partition (Gold standard) so it can happen to any bullet maker but the norm is usually success.
I'll stay with them.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I shot a 6x6 bull this year with a 180 Accubond. It was fired from my 300Wby at 3266 fps. The shot was 150 yards slightly quartering away. The bullet struck a rib behind the shoulder and completely exploded. The biggest peice I found looked like 8 shot. It was copper with lead stuck to it. The bullet did not even penetrate through the front side lung. Lucky the entrance side lung was severely damaged and the bull piled up after 30 yards with a very large blood trail. I was very surprised at how terrible the bullet did as I have had good luck with Accubonds. The picture shows the entrance wound. Looks like a point blank shot with 12ga birdshot.

Sounds like you are using too little gun! .458 Winchester or .460 Weatherby would probably be just right for mule deer or prairie dogs

3410C1AA-30DD-4970-901F-72A1FD91F961.jpeg
06713C91-FDED-4850-9CBA-A0E12C4A4166.jpeg
I shot my first bull elk about a week ago with 180 NAB 3130 fps. Hit the bulls heart at about 220y. Was perfect outcome. In fact Nosler should pay me to tell my story for them ("Hey Nosler - are you listening?")

Just got back from Antelope hunt in Wyoming, the three of us all tagged bucks, the last one our buddy took with 1 factory .280AI Nosler 160 accubond, 183 yds. Broadside hit oncoming shoulder, fragged the scapula turning lungs to mush, and the bullet fragged no recovery no exit, dropped dead. A piece of frag even hit the heart. The hit sounded like a muffled bomb went off.

I've never had an issue with the 160gr Accubond at 3200fps mv out of my 7STW or from my 7mags at 3000-3100fps.They have always given me nice would channels with complete pass through on hogs and deer.Elk do have really hard bones and test those bullets well.I would contact Nosler,they might want the rest of your bullets back so they can check them out.I am sure they would replace them too.I never recovered any of the 160gr,but I did recover a 140gr Accubond.You can definitely tell the bullet was bonded.Here is the 140gr
20161129_135157_HDR_resized.jpg

Factory loaded 150gr AB's have been deadly medicine from a 30-06. The last two were 261 and 343yd respectively through the shoulders and were DRT.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.