Nosler ABLR Testing

Good luck on your Bear hunt this weekend.
My Son and I would be going out as well but I buggered up my ankle last weekend so will have to wait a week or two and hope for a quick recovery.
In the mean time I am hoping to get these new loads develpoed!

I've taken an elk and at least 3 deer with the .277 150's @ 3050 from a 270Win. 22" 1:8 Lilja, 60.5gn R-26.

The bull elk was ~130yds quartering hard towards and walking steeply uphill towards. As the trigger broke, my heart-beat raised the crosshairs a touch and the elk dropped his head to step forward. I intended to get the bullet just inside the on-side shoulder, what happened is the bullet entered the neck not far behind the ear, traveled the length of the neck and I found the slug @ the neck/off-side shoulder junction. There was no core/jacket separation, but, the leftover slug is only weighs 55gn. I don't consider that a failure given the high impact velocity, thick hide, and several vertebrae that were pulverized.

I shot a whitetail buck going away, between the ears, @ 75yds, it came out under the off-side eye. No slug recovery, no tracking job. He was trotting behind a doe and dipped his head as I shot.

Whitetail buck quartering away @ 530yds, in behind the on-side shoulder, out just ahead of the off side. Pancake'd him. No tracking, no slug recovered, it passed through.

Mule Deer buck @ 430, he had a bunch of does around and moved as the trigger broke. I got the liver. Hampered him enough for me to get to 300yds and get one behind the shoulders. Neither slug recovered as they both passed through.

I have been and still am a kool-aide drinking vehement fan of the TSX, but, I've taken/seen enough w/the ABLR that as long as I'm confident I get get the slug where it needs to be, I know it'll do it's job.

I've got 1/2 a dozen of them that look just like your first picture taken out of 3 moose and 2 elk. 190 grain out of a 300 win mag at 500 yards (2 of them in bull moose) and 175's out of a 28 nosler at 175 (cow elk) and 200 yards (x2 bull moose) and one 175 gr from the 28 nosler at 640 yards (bull moose). Great bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything. Have seen several others from our elk hunting group who shoot the 142's in the 26 nosler that performed perfect.

I tried some of the 150's in my 270 win--can push them to just under 3050, Nosler said they can be pushed pretty fast due to a softer lead core so less initial engraving force-- at close range in my 270 (150 and under) they were expanding so rapidly and violently that I wasn't personally comfortable with them so I switched to different bullets.

I did contact Nosler about this and they said that was normal because they do use a much softer bonded lead core than the standard AB bullets for expansion at much slower speeds -- as long as you shoot accordingly, they can be a good bullet if they are accurate for you as they act more like a berger at close ranges, and more like a AB at longer ranges--they were pretty darn accurate in my 270win

when they first came out they had huge BC numbers, this has been changed over the years to be more realistic BC numbers but are still sometimes inflated a bit -- they are pretty long though, so watch the stability factor with your twist rate/altitude

Are you guys running .080-.100 bullet jump with the ABLR?

I'm in the process of having a 7 SAUM built on a Defiant XM action and I need to send in a dummy round. I have the heel of the bullet set just a touch above the shoulder/neck junction and I'd like to keep it out of the case. I'm on the fence as to how much jump to add to the throat.

With throat erosion in mind, would I be shooting myself in the foot by having .075 jump so I can keep the bullet above the SNJ and be able to shoot the ABLR to their potential? After 1000 rounds down the barrel, that would be about .050-.070 erosion, correct? What would you guys do?

Great post and info from all.
I am at this moment developing a new load for my 6.5 cm using ABLR 142 do to poor performance with one of the above mentioned bullets at close range on relatively small wt. Tail Deer last season.
Have actually been saving empty milk jugs for testing as well so appreciate the water test in cans as well.
I have seen Ingwe's post on the results from his African hunts. Impressive!

I wa very happy with the ABLR especially after seeing what it did with my Zebra...a relativelyclose shot that broke the massive shoulder of an 800lb animal and continued to penetrate another 3feet of flesh. Can't ask for much more than that. They also have a pretty high BC and most of all they are BONDED
You don't have to "drill out their tips" to make sure that they expand either lol

We had great results with the 175 ABLR in 7 Saums and 280 AI. 10 elk and several deer shot with them last season from 400 to 710. Several dead on impact. Nothing made it over 35 yards! All exits. Tested them in wet newspaper over 3000 fps at 100 yds and didn't blow up. Good weight retention at 600 yds shooting thru elk hide and 20 inches of ballistic gel. 123 grains left stuck in hide on back side .

Attachments

• 3DB4A77B-F419-4919-AC14-173B83CA1087.jpeg
    3DB4A77B-F419-4919-AC14-173B83CA1087.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 7EC190AF-E218-4C09-B21F-B66286189FB9.jpeg
    7EC190AF-E218-4C09-B21F-B66286189FB9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Ok so I've been on a quest this year to find the ultimate med to long range deer and elk bullet, after having some pretty bad failures with a variety of non bonded target style bullets.

Not starting another bullet debate here but I asked about the ABLR's a while back and many members were claiming they are extremely explosive, more so than the target bullets that I'm moving away from.

So I'm starting a thread for people to post their results with any of the ABLR's.

Here's my results so far with the 142's.
I loaded a few last night for my ultralight 6.5 SAUM at 2.940 oal with 60.5 grains of H1000.
Mv was 3200, shot a 1.3" 200 yard group right off the bat.
I did an expansion test with 4 metal paint gallon jugs filled with water at 200 yards.
The results are looking awesome!
It blew through the first 3 and I recovered it from the 4th, perfect mushroom with the bonded core totally intact. I'll weigh it later.
Going bear hunting this weekend, hopefully I'll have some live results.

Here's a few pics of the bullet and the carnage on the first 2 jugs.
View attachment 192292View attachment 192293View attachment 192294
the bullets look good to me as they mushroomed like they are supposed to when hitting ! The accubond is the bullet that I prefer for both elk and moose and that's in my 7mm and 300 wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.