Norma brass in 338-378 questions

E4aker

I know a lot of people prefer to wildcat on the 338 lapua due to brass quality. The 338-378 wildcats back in the day gave the best numbers in that class of cartridge....338kt, 338 Kahn etc. my understanding is people got away from them do to high cost of weatherby brass and it being softer then the lapua brass. Lapua brass can be ran at higher pressure and for more loadings over the weatherby stuff.

Now that Norma and hornady are making brass it seams that the 338-378 wildcats might be a better option and might get you into the 3100fps range with the right chamber/throat and RL33 with less pressure then the 338 lapua variants.

Does anybody have any experience with the 338-378 norma brass? How is the quality compared to the weatherby brass. Also curious if the hornady brass?

I'm gonna be ordering a reamer soon for the new berger 329s....I keep coming back to the 338-378 as a parent cartridge.

Hate to put a sour note on your query, but Weatherby branded and Norma branded brass is one in the same. Both are made by Norma.
I use the Norma branded brass in all of my Weatherby chamberings and, yes, the brass has thin webs that allow the pockets to open at lower pressure than other brands. Therefore you don't get the velocity that you should. I have factory 375 Weatherby rounds/brass that gets loose pockets on the first firing. If I keep subsequent loadings mild, I can get 3 loadings before scrapping the brass. I hate this due to the high cost of it, but what can you do?
I have/do form brass from 375H&H made by Remington & Winchester. Unfortunately this doesn't help you because neither make the larger 378 Weatherby based cases.

Cheers.
:(

Hate to put a sour note on your query, but Weatherby branded and Norma branded brass is one in the same. Both are made by Norma.
I use the Norma branded brass in all of my Weatherby chamberings and, yes, the brass has thin webs that allow the pockets to open at lower pressure than other brands. Therefore you don't get the velocity that you should. I have factory 375 Weatherby rounds/brass that gets loose pockets on the first firing. If I keep subsequent loadings mild, I can get 3 loadings before scrapping the brass. I hate this due to the high cost of it, but what can you do?
I have/do form brass from 375H&H made by Remington & Winchester. Unfortunately this doesn't help you because neither make the larger 378 Weatherby based cases.

Cheers.

From my understanding...you should try the RWS 375 H&H brass...it is outstanding and tough as nails.

I think it also depends on your does.On realigned.com he got 17 loads per brass neck sizing it .I get at least five loads full length sizing it .I think Redding dies are better than rcbs too.I necked a bunch of 416 weatherby down to 378 weatherby then 338-378 ,weatherby .The result was necks too thick and lots of pressure .I wish someone here besides hornady would make the brass .Hopefully when weatherby moves to Wyoming they will mAke their own brass and ammo .I have three of these rifles all accumarks 338-378 weatherby .The ones I have like reloader 25 and nosler 250 grain bullets which worked awesome in Alaska .I want to try wc867 in these rifles and some h-870 .My rifles have powder fouling issues they must be cleaned every 50 shots or they pattern .I have shot 1-inch groups at 300yards with these rifles .The seco ones are the most accurate madeiin Maine for weatherby .I think a 30 inch barrel is the ticket for the 338-378 .It boost it 300-400 fps over a 26 inch barrel .Good luck and shooting.with your rifle !

I think it also depends on your does.On realigned.com he got 17 loads per brass neck sizing it .I get at least five loads full length sizing it .I think Redding dies are better than rcbs too.I necked a bunch of 416 weatherby down to 378 weatherby then 338-378 ,weatherby .The result was necks too thick and lots of pressure .I wish someone here besides hornady would make the brass .Hopefully when weatherby moves to Wyoming they will mAke their own brass and ammo .I have three of these rifles all accumarks 338-378 weatherby .The ones I have like reloader 25 and nosler 250 grain bullets which worked awesome in Alaska .I want to try wc867 in these rifles and some h-870 .My rifles have powder fouling issues they must be cleaned every 50 shots or they pattern .I have shot 1-inch groups at 300yards with these rifles .The seco ones are the most accurate madeiin Maine for weatherby .I think a 30 inch barrel is the ticket for the 338-378 .It boost it 300-400 fps over a 26 inch barrel .Good luck and shooting.with your rifle !

Cheers.
You can try to swedge the Case heads / P pockets back down. Do a few Google searches you'll find folks Doing it successfully. I think These pics are for a smaller case but With the Swag / Swedge ? Dies and some Experimental work i think you can save some Brass .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217_131346_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_131346_Samsung Internet.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20221217_131201_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_131201_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20221217_131131_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_131131_Samsung Internet.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221217_131229_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_131229_Samsung Internet.jpg