338 (norma) build question

highdrum

Guys, you have some gorgeous rifles out there. This is definitely whetting my appetite. It also appears uniform across all posters that a muzzle brake is very much needed. What do you think about using a suppressor instead?
Supressors offer 30% the recoil reduction of a good brake. That's okay on 6.5mm and smaller 7mm. But when going to big 30cal and 338, especially in a lighter weight rig, you need a brake to have any hopes of spotting your impacts.

clemens

Any reason for not considering the 338 RUM?

It doesn’t have any edge in performance with the Lapua or Norma, but at it does operate on a standard magnum bolt face and has factory ammo options available.

For 24” barrel, it’s probably a wash between the Norma and Lapua.

And PS: I second the notion for a good brake. My 338 RUM with 285s is tolerable with my brake, not sure I’d want to fire it without a brake and in a rifle weighing a few pounds less!

View attachment 195004
Sweet iron

codyadams

Guys, you have some gorgeous rifles out there. This is definitely whetting my appetite. It also appears uniform across all posters that a muzzle brake is very much needed. What do you think about using a suppressor instead?
Depends on the gun, if you build a 15+lb .338, then I think it would be manageable, you may even spot hits. But with these 9lb ready to hunt rigs....little bit different story.

Ftothfadd

Would you be willing to post your pet loads with grouping and velocities for your 338 rifles?
thank you!

codyadams

Would you be willing to post your pet loads with grouping and velocities for your 338 rifles?
thank you!
This is the thread to find that....

Should be able to get some good useful data there.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce